Recommendations for Novice? (Dec 10-14)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tipsy

New
Reaction score
I'm looking for any tips on a good dive op in Cozumel for a novice level diver. Obviously happy to be matched up with a boat of the same level, but little wary of getting hooked up on a cattle boat of cruise ship people. Heard great things and want to see the best Cozumel has to offer for my level (no Devil's Throat :depressed:).

Going to do the Cenotes on the mainland too.

I am also currently accepting advice on the nightlife both here and in Playa.

Cheers
Tipsy

I have never dove Cozumel, but I just got back from a Cenote dive trip.

I went to Dos Ojos, diving out of the Akumal Dive Center a little south of Playa Del Carman. I would recommend going on a dive with Chepo (one of their divemasters). I had a great time, and he is a really good dive leader.

I am by no means an expert cave diver, this was my first cave dive, although I do have about 60 dives under my belt and am currently pursuing divemaster certification. To dive Dos Ojos, there weren't any really tight swim throughs, but without good buoancy skills it is pretty easy to bump into things.

I am not sure if there are Cenote dives that are not in an overhead environment, but based on your calling yourself a "novice diver" my guess is that your buoyancy might need a little practice before getting into the Cenotes.

In Dos Ojos, there is a snorkelling area that is obviously non-overhead, but diving in that area probably wouldn't be all that great since it is only about 15 feet deep, and there really isn't anything to see diving that you can't see snorkelling (the water is crystal clear).

Hands down Scuba Tony. Small, fast boats, never more than 5-6 divers, surface intervals on land, warm water showers on boat after dive, snacks, soda and bottled water. Tony is a very patient, safe and thorough instructor and dive master. I have never dived Devils Throat and honestly have no desire to do so. Palancar Gardens is one of Cozumels more shallow, easy dives, but I think it is the best.

I cannot offer any advise or recommendations regarding night life. After a day of diving I start getting glassy eyed after 9 pm(I at least blame it on the diving-not being middle aged :wink:

Blue XTSea certified me a decade ago and they've remained consistent in their commitment to providing the best dive experience possible for divers of all levels. Christi runs a small op so she's able to spoil you in a way that the larger cattle-boat ops just can't do. She's got a first class crew who will make sure that you're comfortable and enjoying every minute, you can tell that they genuinely love what they do. Enjoy, but beware - Cozumel is a lovely addiction! Christi can also help you with your cenote diving plans - she does this for her divers regularly and has some good connections.

+1 for Blue XT Sea based on your requirements. Panchita summed them up well. Christi has fantastic DM's and crew plus you are allowed to dive your computer. Her boats hold max 6 passengers and you get very personalized valet service.

aldora.com

Start with the best then you never regret your choice!

Hi Tipsy! I'm also a new diver, and I just returned from a week of diving in Cozumel. I agree with the above posters, Blue XT was wonderful! My husband used Blue XT when we were in Cozumel 3 years ago, and he insisted on using them again. The divemasters were wonderful, and oh so patient with my newly learned techniques. I learned so much from them, and they were constantly pointing out the coolest marine life, which I would otherwise never seen because I was so busy trying to avoid touching anything :D . Each day they took all of our gear so we walked off the boat with just our wetsuits, and the next morning it was all cleaned and packed in an individual bag for our use. They were super professional and at the same time very warm and caring. They picked great dive sites based on our experience. We were not disappointed!

Christi was a pleasure to deal with also. She offered lots of tips on what we needed as new divers, and she also has a great knowledge of the island and the nightlife :cheers:. We didn't stay out too late, but we enjoyed the Love Cafe and The Money Bar (great bands!). We also made a trip to the "Other" side, and loved Coconuts! We can't wait to go back, and I will not hesitate to use Blue XT again for our diving.

Have fun!

Another vote for Scuba Tony. I did my first dives post certification with him and his crew, they are excellent.

Have a great trip.

We dove with BluXTSea today (one of hundreds with them) and there was a novice on the boat. She got certified while she was here, entered and finished the Ironman, and was enjoying her first ocean dives.

She had a private dm for her and her buddy everyone had great dives and she had a wonderful, fun & safe experience.

Where will you be staying ? If South of Caleta, the main marina located South of town (close to Hotel Presidente), you can expect to be picked up by any of the 80+ dive ops operating on the island. Less options quantity wise if staying in town (but still plenty of quality operations). If staying North of town, you may not have much of a choice unless you're willing to take a cab or drive to a pier.

Chances of being on a boat with only novice divers will depend on who else is booked as the same time as you are.
Provided you communicate clearly with your prospective dive op regarding your experience level and the type of diving you want to do, no good operation will take you on advanced dives such as Devil's Throat or Barracuda (strong currents).

Staying out of swimthroughs or above 60 feet however is a different issue, as most divers seem to want to do those. Which is why, no matter who you choose to dive with, I would recommand hiring a private DM just for yourself at least for the first day (approximate cost would be USD50 extra per 2-tank trip), so you can get a bit of experience with closer supervision. The following days you can just go with the group (all dives are lead by a DM and groups are kept to 8 divers max per Marine Park regulations) if you feel comfortable, or keep hiring a private DM so you can dive your own profile (for example if you don't want to go beyond 60 ft).

If you are really new to the sport, I'd recommand postponing the cenotes, or at least waiting until you do a couple of days of diving in the ocean (and hopefully a night dive too) and get the professional opinion of your dive guide before committing to diving the cenotes. They require good buoyancy and other skills as well as making sure you feel comfortable diving in a dark, overhead environment.
You can still plan for a trip to the mainland ahead of time, plenty to do there (snorkeling the cenotes if you realize you're not ready to dive them, visiting ruins, beautiful beaches, shopping, nightlife…), just don't pay in advance for a dive trip if it's non refundable.

The nightlife on the island is both low key and lots of fun. Cozumel attracts an "older" crowd of North American tourists, including lots of divers, who like to have a beer and relax and meet new people. Locals are really nice and enjoy chatting as well, in a respectful way. I found throughout my travels that it was sometimes hard to have a real connection with the inhabitants of the places I visited, mainly either because of the economical differences or the fact I was a blonde woman (bluntly said, felt the people I met were either not interested in talking at all, or did so only expecting a tip or a one night stand). Never felt that on the island.

My favorite thing to do at night in Cozumel, besides eating out and watching the sunset, is listening to live music in bars. Venues vary depending on the day. Good spots include Money Bar (South of town, near Fiesta Americana/Chankanaab) on the week-ends, La Hatch (in front of Villa Blanca hotel) and La Palapita next door, and Love Café Cozumel (on the beach just north of town). As an added bonus, those places are by the gorgeous ocean, great for sunset watching.
French Quarter (in town), as well as the above mentionned Love Café, contracts bands from other parts in Mexico. Ambar and Piratas (5 Avenida half a block south of the plaza) fill up with local youths when they have local bands playing. Viva Mexico on the waterfront in town also has live music starting at 11 pm Fridays (rock) and Saturdays (latin).
There are also places like Hard Rock Café, Carlos and Charlie and Señor Frogs, don't know what it's like there. On Sunday nights, the plaza in town is the place where everyone gathers for latin music and dancing.
There are also a few discos in town, but I've never been there, so can't comment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom