Recommendations for first light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ca_Ghost

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking to get my first light. Nothing fancy just something that will last.

Is it possible to get a decent LED for $50.00 or less?

Princeton Tec Miniwave LED Light

This is one I'm considering getting for my primary. I don't need anything fancy either, but I have read some good reviews on it. Scubatoys has it for $89.99. It's a little more than $50 but not to bad.

Just came across the thread, So you have probably already gotten a light but if not the pelican 2010 is an led light with a refractor channel making it a very intense beam that will cut through smoke, fog, very good light, Like 35$ @ divers supply.

The Intova LED light is a bright little thing, and I think runs in the $50 range.

The Oxycheq Raider I seems to be the backup-du-jour, and is around $65 from Scubatoys. It's supposed to be extremely bright and long-lasting on 3 AAA batteries.

As TSandM said, the Intova light is very small and bright. I have one and am very happy with it. You should be aware there are two models made by Intova. The regular 65 lumen and a 130 lumen model. The 130 lumen model is not necessarily brighter overall because the beam is much more diffused. The run time at full power for the 65 lumen model is supposed to be 2-3 hours. The light will then cut back on its output so that it can burn for approx 10 hours total. The other thing you should know is that the light takes CR123 lithium batteries. These are generally used for cameras and they can be expensive if you buy them locally at a store. They will generally run $4-$5 each. You can find them much cheaper on the net but you do have to plan ahead a bit and make sure you have extras on hand. I generally order a dozen at a time. These were the cheapest places I could find for making my purchases. It has been a few weeks so I don't know if that means there is now a cheaper source or not.

Battery Junction CR123 Batteries

Battery Junction Case for Extra Batteries $8

ANTOnline $30 for 65 Lumen Light

Hope this helps,

Ryan

For $59 you can get the Princeton Tec Torrent LED. It is a handheld primary and throws a very nice beam. Plus it stuffs into a pocket or clips on somewhere very easily.

Thanks all for the ideas. I ended up getting the Underwater Kinetics Sunlight SL4 eLED Dive Light from my LDS for the price I was looking for!

Can't wait to try it out in Monterey next Tuesday!

@ FF-EMT Diver: Would you recommend the Pelican 2010 as a primary? I'm currently using the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED, but I'd be interested in something less heavy.

Its a good idea to have a backup light too.LED is definetly the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom