Recommendations for diving in mid-August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wndrlst02

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be in the Philippines from August 17 to 24, 2007. I was wondering if anyone can recommend places and/or resorts. I'm open to liveaboards as well if there's any available during this time. I have been to Puerto Galera several times, as well as Alona Beach and MoalBoal, so looking for somewhere I've never been to.

Thank you for you help.

cabilao island (off Bohol) has been receiving fairly excellent reviews for this year, st02. you might want to check it out (pakman and diver_dennis posted great trip reports... il try to find the threads for u).

malapascua is also manta season for august (same place known for the thresher sharks). its an island off cebu.

Thank you for the info. I've read through the trip reports and both Cabilao and Malapascua sounds great. It seems like August is typhoon season as well, so I may play it by ear and see what the weather is like when I'm there and go where it's nice and sunny. I can't remember the last time I'm in the Philippines in August, but I'm hoping I get my fill with sun and warmth as this vacation needs to last me through the upcoming Toronto winter.

Out of curiosity, is Anilao pretty much the same kind of diving as Puerto Galera?

weather's pretty screwed up right now. when it should be raining, we get lots of sunshine... although, that might work to your benefit.

PG has better diving than Anilao. :)

Alona Beach - but not sure how the diving is that time of year...maybe the regulars can chime in with their opinions.... If you stay in Alona, you are close to both Balicasag and Cabilao which I think are the best locations in the Philippines....granted, the only other place I've been in the philippines is Borocay! :D

Good luck!

if you've been to cebu, bohol and PG, maybe you would like to try sogod bay and dauin/apo island for a change.

How about Camiguin

Hey, if you need a Buddy I will be there around that time myself! I am definitely going to Malapascua (3-4 days), then down to Malboal, then Bohol/Panglao/Alona area, Cabilao, etc..perhaps Dumaguete and Leyte.
Finishing with Palawan--LOTS of great wrecks there (Coron) and relatively pristine waters..but this will take over a month. (don't know your time constraints)

Oddly enough, this "Typhoon Season" has been remarkably quiet--so I hope it holds!

PM me as I just arrived PI and am ready to get out of Manila NOW!
HB:wink:

I would love to go to Palawan, but I think I have to wait for another trip when I can stay in the Philippines longer. I will PM you and maybe we get to meet and buddy up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom