Recommendations for diving in Cabo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisB_TX

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm heading to Cabo San Lucas in mid-February, and would like to get a dive or two in. I'm looking for recommendations for dive shops, dive sites and any other points of wisdom for diving in Cabo in February (like water temps, wetsuits, etc). I love to dive, but took a long hiatus raising kids and getting back into it. Thanks!

Hi Chris. Welcome to Scubaboard.

I'm not sure if mid-Feb is a good time to go diving in Cabo San Lucas, but you can check with Gaby or Rene of krakenfilms for sure. I usually go there in October to December, especially to Cabo Pulmo to see schooling of big-eye jacks, as shown, below.

IMG_3225.JPG

My guess is the water temperature would be around the mid-high 70's. 5mm wetsuit with hood would be sufficient.

For February in Mexico, I plan to see Sailfish Run in Isla Mujeres & cenote diving in Playa Del Carmen - Tulum area.

Enjoy the trip!

Hey Chris,

While the conditions are not as good as they are in the fall there is still a lot to see. In Cabo itself there is more than enough dive sites for a few days of diving including the Gordo Banks which in my opinion is the best dive site in Cabo. Water temps are chilly, most people are comfortable in a 5mm when diving with me up here in La Paz which is a little bit warmer than Cabo. Not really worth buying a suit for as rentals are available.
Also in February there are lots of Humpback whales around and you can make a day trip to La Paz to see the whale sharks or dive with the sea lions in Los Islotes. These day trips can be arranged with dive shops in Cabo or you can rent a car and go up on your own.

As far as dive shop recommendations go I would take a walk when you get in to Cabo and speak to them yourself. Dive staff turnover is high in the diving industry and all those positive reviews you read are typically because of the efforts of the dive staff, not the dive center.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom