Recommendations for Diving in a French-speaking Caribbean Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to plan a trip in early 2025 to go diving with my son who is studying French. I have narrowed down options to: Guadeloupe, St. Barts, and Saint Martin. Which place has the best diving with the best opportunities for my son to practice his French? Thanks for any recommendations.

i believe most of the diving is on the dutch side of st maarten so that may not be the best choice. cant speak to the others.

ClubMed San Salvador Bahamas (columbus isle). There is a weekly flight in from Paris as well as from Montreal. Great food, diving, beach and plenty of French spoken. English is the exception. Plunge!

Dominica, or Iles des Saintes would be my choice. Guadeloupe and Martinique as well.

Dominica, or Iles des Saintes would be my choice. Guadeloupe and Martinique as well.
On all these islands people speak a distinctive creole French, quite different from the proper French spoken in France.

On all these islands people speak a distinctive creole French, quite different from the proper French spoken in France.

True for locals while speaking among themselves, but not when speaking with non islanders.

Make sure you understand the dive regulations for French territory (if that ends up your choice). You will need a medical less than a year old.

Hello, I recommend Guadeloupe, especially in the Jacques Cousteau marine reserve, there are many dive centers at Malendure and also a nice smaller family one Anse Caraibe Plongée which is really nice. They also rent out bungalows or recommend some close by. They dive in the Jacque Cousteau reserve, but also do day trips to the Saintes (le Sec Patée dive is very beautiful and a must do) as well as on the other side of the island, and have some nice wrecks as well.

While local people speak Creole with each other, they also speak standard French, especially with tourist that are not native French speakers.

Plus the food is absolutely delicious.

Next best would be Martinique, and the others far behind only,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom