Recommendations for Diving Courses in the Bay Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougchartier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

Where do you recommend I go for SCUBA diving courses in the South Bay or Peninsula? In particular, I'm interested in the advanced open water, peak performance buoyancy, and nitrox courses.

Thanks in advance.

Santa Cruz area Aqua safaris

The best course run in the Bay Area, bar none, was IDS407 at U.C. Berkeley, which I believe can still be taken through Extension.

Where do you recommend I go for SCUBA diving courses in the South Bay or Peninsula? In particular, I'm interested in the advanced open water, peak performance buoyancy, and nitrox courses.

I've recently signed up for AOW at Diver Dan's Online Scuba Store - A PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Center (IDC) in Santa Clara. I've not yet had any classes there, so I cannot really judge how good they are. I chose them because their schedule is online and they have a lot of choices. They seem to be a high-volume training facility.

One thing to ask AOW instructors is what Adventure Dives they teach in the class. All PADI courses have to teach Deep and Navigation. Diver Dan's also teaches Boat and Night because they fit well with a weekend of Monterey diving. The fifth dive is about the only one we might get to choose. Diver Dan's usually does Naturalist. I wanted Search and Recovery, but they told me I'd have to ask the instructor the night of the class.

And that raises another issue. You might want to talk with the instructor to see how you like him. Be sure to ask if he is teaching the class and if he gets in the water with you. At Diver Dan's the instructor responsible for the class often assigns it to one of his assistants.

If you want to get in the water and practice skills sometime, maybe I can join you. :)

As you noted, Diver Dans is a cert shop. Sans one employee in my experiences there the rest are worthless. They do not understand how to use some of the gear that they sell! While they certainly aren't a "bad" shop and they do have some good instructors I feel that it is possible to do better in the bay area.

As far as the class structure since the instructors are independent they all have their own programs for AOW. If the class you are in doesnt have the adventure dives you want, chances are another would have a different mix all together. Some are also more involved and or complicated by the monterey conditions.

That all being said I know of at least one shop in Monterey (Aquarius, on Del Monte) which will let the students pick all three adventure dives. May be worth considering as theres no pool work, and generally you can do the knowledge reviews the day of the dives. Since you're going to have to be in Monterey anyway for that perhaps thats an option for you too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom