Recommendations for Dive Op in Georgetown Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done two trips with DiveTech and been happy with them.

I dived with them for a week and was not overly impressed.
They attempted to include newbies, experienced recreational divers, tech divers; all on the same boat and looked for sites that would accommodate everyone i.e., a compromise.
Also, we waited at the sites forever for the techies to decompress.

I would dive with them again if I was doing a package at Cobalt Coast, but would look elsewhere if I had a choice.

My preference on GC is always a small dive company where the owners are the operators.

There are many good small operators that will pick up and drop off who provide personalized service and spacious boats with small groups.
I'd stay away from Red Sail, Foster's, Treasure Island, Sunset for the reasons cited above.

Treasure Island (Divers). Yikes. A name that departed in 2004!

Sigh....

Red Sail is just fine, should you so choose. They go to all the same sites that every other dive operation goes to. Yes, that includes Ghost Mountain or Babylon depending upon which shop you are diving out of. It is a very rare day for any dive shop other than Red Sail or Ocean Frontiers to dive at Babylon since that is an east end site.

From the sounds of what the OP is looking for, he might be better off aiming for a larger dive operation that might split groups on the first dive. He can do a deep dive while his wife stays in the other group in the shallows on the top of the wall. They can then pair up for the shallow second dive. Small operators may be able to offer two separate groups too, depending on staffing.

In 4.5 years of working the dive business in Cayman I never had a boat with cruise ship tourists and stay over guests combined other than in the few months after Hurricane Ivan. Even then it was a rarity and only happened a couple times.

From what I have seen and heard since I left Red Sail they have responded to some criticism that had shown up from time to time on this and other boards that some used to distinguish them. They got rid of their smaller 72cuft tanks and upgraded to a new set of 80s. And they have somewhat liberalized dive times to be more accommodating to computer profiles. Like them or hate them for other reasons, but in those respects they seem to be on par with other operators.

I like Living The Dream Diving. They will pick you up and only take 8 on either of their boats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Used Sunset Divers several years ago. They were great! If you used them I suggest you boat dive in the AM, have lunch at My Bar, and then shore dive Sunset Reef after lunch, and then have a few drinks at My Bar afterwards. Do this at least 1 day.

We have dived with Living the Dream on two trips. If we return to GC we'll dive with them again.
Big boats, small groups, personal service. Gary and Liz, Scott, and Carl are the best!
They also pick you up if you're staying along Seven Mile Beach.

Back
Top Bottom