Recommendations for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AceszHigh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey everyone,
A group of 7 of us are planning to take a week long dive trip to Bonaire in the first week of March. It's our first time there and I'm just looking for some recommendations...

Diving and truck rental - can anyone recommend a good dive shop with multiple locations (and nitrox) to get a tank package from? Recommendations for a place to rent two pickup trucks from?

Lodging - we want to stay on the water. We're leaning toward renting a villa, such as Hamlet 9 or 10 as it seems to be the best setup and most economical for our group. A place that offers all inclusive packages would be nice too, but we haven't found any that compare in price to this setup.

Any input is appreciated! thanks.

You'll get multiple recommendations from all of us based on our taste. I personally enjoy Buddy Dive. It's on the water, it has all the tanks I can possibly want, it usually has free nitrox, it has a dive and drive package and a very good breakfast included. That may be more than you're looking for but it works great for me. With their rooms, I can eat, sleep, cook or go out to eat. Whether that is what you're looking for or not, I can't tell but it works for me.

Just about everybody bundles trucks/diving/accommodations if asked - Hamlet Oasis
Car rental and dive packages available at discount, ask!
Hamlet gets theirs from Dive Friends - they're about the biggest as far as multiple locations - they have 5 affiliated properties - 2 in town, Hamlet, Sand Dollar nearby and Port Bonaire south of town. Dive Friends Bonaire, providing diving, equipment on Bonaire in the Dutch Caribbean

Finding multiple shops really isn't that important on Bonaire though - there's only one main road north/south that goes by all the dive resorts and in town facilities. Once you get either north or south of town there's no facilities at any dive site. So the typical process is to load tanks from your resort for that days diving - most don't have any limits - a few limit it to 2 per trip - and drive/dive that day. Also check availability - some are 24/7, some 9-5. Depending on where you're staying, there are various means to access tanks/lockers after hours. So finding an operator with multiple locations isn't so important. I don't know of anybody that doesn't have nitrox available.

Unless you go really far north you're generally within 10-15mins. of your accommodations. We passed ours 3-4 times/day when shorediving. If you go too far north towards Karpata the road becomes one way requiring a scenic detour thru Rincon - takes about 20mins. to get back to town from there.

There's only one recent AI program on Bonaire afaik - the Plaza: http://www.plazaresortbonaire.com/packages-specials-all-inclusive.htm

Some like Buddy Dive bundle breakfast. I think Divi Flamingo has an optional meal plan also - the advantage they have is being walking distance to downtown.

Another option might be the Buddy dive affiliated facilities. Besides Buddy Dive - not only are they waterfront but they have their own trucks - they also share tanks with Caribbean Club - on a hill so not waterfront and BelMar Apts. - south of town and right on the water. Buddy Dive - Eat, Sleep, (Buddy) Dive!

We stay at Belmar, nice, newer place. They have a decent house dive and all the good southern dive sites start 5 mins. away. They have 24/7 tank availability - your apt. (condo) key gets you into the public dive shop areas - including access to wetsuit storage and the nitrox analyzer. Another advantage they have for diving north is you get to use the Buddy Dive drive-thru tank pickup. Buddy's sends a boat down 2-3 times/wk. for boat diving. It's not the cheapest place but if you're looking to double up they have 2-3 bedroom units. Full kitchens, big patios, great sunsets. It's a smaller property so the only thing between you and the water is the pool - it's about 50' to the dive dock. On ironshore so no beach if that's an issue. Also it's a 5min. drive to town for food.

If you're looking to go the house/villa rental route check Sunrentals. http://www.sunrentalsbonaire.com/vacations.html

[user]phelana[/user] also has properties she reps for - she lives there. Caribbean Wind & Sun Vacations--Bonaire

Last edited:
For you needs I would second the Belmar.
Affiliated with Buddy Dive - only real down side is the parking situation.

Our first trip to Bonaire, we stayed at a condo unit that is right beside Belmar:

Iguana Holiday Rentals Bonaire - Netherlands Antilles

Large spacious unit. They also rent the upstairs so can accommodate a large group. Private deck with an excellent house reef. No food or truck rental package though. Tank rentals from Belmar next door (night key not an option for the tanks though). No night security but the guard next door at Belmar kept an eye on us. You can use their dock as well if you like. The water entry at the condo is down a ladder from the deck. No shore, beach area. Great access to southern dive sites. I think I have some photos. If interested PM me.

Our next two trips were to the Northern area near Hamlet and used Dive Friends. We tend to prefer the northern sites so like to stay on the north side of the island.

Hamlet Villas and Hamlet Oasis Resort are not the same properties. Hamlet Villas are larger privately owned oceanfront homes with multiple bedrooms. Hamlet Oasis Resort is a collection of smaller studios and apartment "cottages", located immediately inland from Hamlet Villas. Both are served by the same two private access roads off of Kaya Gob. N Debrot (the main road north of town.)

We just returned on Saturday from another fantastic 3 weeks stay with Tim & Leanne at Beachcomber Villas, which is located at Hamlet Villa #11. The entire Hamlet complex is very convenient for access to shore diving operations. Dive Friends Bonaire recently built a new shop within the complex. It includes 2 lanes of drive-thru tank stations, rinse tanks, outdoor shower, free nitrox, and friendly knowledgeable staff. This was our 2nd stay here, and we will be returning again next Christmas.

For those concerned about security, the northern Hamlet gates are locked when the dive shops closes each day at 4:30 PM. From 4:30 PM to 8:30 AM the only access to the complex is via the southern gate. Just while we were staying there, workers installed an electrically operated gate at the southern entrance, making the entire complex a truly "gated community" at night.

We've stayed at Buddy Dive twice and Belmar once. Both are great operations, especially if you plan do do frequent boat dives.

I've rented from Telerin the past couple of years and have been happy with them. You can find more information by searching this forum for "Telerin" or "Poppy". There have been some recent posts questioning the quality of Telerin vehicles, but we have always been satisfied with ours.

In prior years I've steered away from AB rental due to condition of their fleet, but they appear to have newer trucks this year.

Enjoy your trip!

Wwguy! Pleeeasse! I try to keep Tim and Leanne a secret so they will not be booked when I need them!

Wwguy! Pleeeasse! I try to keep Tim and Leanne a secret so they will not be booked when I need them!

Ha ha, I know what you mean... We're terrified of the very same thing! Our strategy has been to leave a deposit for our next trip before we leave. (So far, so good.)

But I can't resist the urge to spread the good word. I need to make sure they are still in business next year too!

Ha ha, I know what you mean... We're terrified of the very same thing! Our strategy has been to leave a deposit for our next trip before we leave. (So far, so good.)

But I can't resist the urge to spread the good word. I need to make sure they are still in business next year too!

Sounds like it id time to put in our deposit for September....doesnt get any better than Beachcombers :)

I would rent a Villa through Sunrentals...with that # of PPL you guys could get a fabulous place on the water with a nice view and a pool and dive right out the backdoor!
They usually set you up with Wannadive..they are excellent!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom