Recommendations for boat/operator for July/Aug Keys visit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barefootdog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I need some help working out details for a trip to the Keys.
Late July dive trip to the Keys for 3 - 5 days of diving.

Looking for recommendation for a smaller boat.
Maybe a smaller boat/crew that will go further to less visited or unique sites.

We're both experienced no issue divers.
We both tend to be quiet underwater.

On past trips booked with Keys Dive out of Islamadora.
No issues with them. Decent boat and really enjoyed the crew.
Nice people and professional in all aspects.
But its a pretty good size boat...30-40 divers on a busy day.

I have rooms booked on Islamadora so reasonable access from there is important.

Recommendations, especially those based on personal experience, greatly appreciated..
Feel free to PM me or post within this thread.

Thx - BG

Quescense runs a six pack operation in northern end of KL, depending on exactly where you are in Islamorada, it could be a quick drive or a bit of a haul. I've been out with them a few times and they do a nice job. I prefer stable big boats so mostly go out with Conch Republic and Rainbow Reef which have big Newtons. Quescense also has a really good repair and service operation if you have gear problems. Most of the other shops also run big boats.

Lobster mini season this year is 7/26-27. The vast majority of keys dive operators will be conducting lobster trips wed/thursday with a few exceptions and will be fully booked/crowded. Its a ZOO on the water/land throughout monroe county. Dreadful!

Reefman
Key largo

Lobster mini season this year is 7/26-27. The vast majority of keys dive operators will be conducting lobster trips wed/thursday with a few exceptions and will be fully booked/crowded. Its a ZOO on the water/land throughout monroe county. Dreadful!
He's right. I usually do something a lot safer like cave diving on my rebreather.

Yeah I forgot about the short season. Zoo central...

Mr Chairman....You should use that photo over at 1911.....:)

I guess Couch Republic has 2 boats one larger and a smaller one.

Keep them coming.....

Thanks.
BG

That's true.... but they don't use the Island Hopper all thar much in my experience.... usually only when they don't have many divers signed up for the main trip or if they are going to a special site and need to run a second boat. Generally speaking, they get enough divers signed up to take the big boat

So, by arriving on the Keys on 08/29, we'll be missing lobster mini season and by leaving on 08/06 we will miss the main season. If we don't have the foggiest idea about lobstering anyway (may try it some day so) and maybe like dive boats not to be "just crowded" in that way, that then is a good thing - maybe even in traffic and such - or does it make no difference really?
Just wondering, it won't change our dates...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom