Recommendations for AC - Just taking pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Superlite

New
Reaction score
I will be in AC in early August to relax a bit and take some pictures. I'm looking for any recomendations for a no frills trip to a good location I can play around with my Ikelite housing and SLR. I don't need any handholding from the operators----just looking for a place with good vis and a few critters. I figure I'm fine snorkling for a trip or two, then renting a bottle when I don't want to work so hard and linger a bit deeper.

Any insight appreciated.

RICK

I'm the manager so I'm biased, however, at Tranquility Bay Resort you can save some bucks because you can actually snorkel out to the reef. The reef is a lot closer than in town and there is little to no boat traffic, with patch reef that keeps the boats on the look out! We have had a few manatee spottings over the last few days. We also have a dive master on site. Tranquility Bay Resort - Tranquility Bay, Ambergris Caye, Belize Check out Tripadvisor as well!

Carlos

Up around there you'll also find some very photogenic underwater formations.

Just got back from Belize. Brought my Canon G9 and Ikelite housing with strobe. Regardless of where you stay, if you want schools of fish you will need to snorkel Hol Chan. It's a protected park and it's the only place along the reef where you will see schools and schools of fish besides nurse sharks and rays. It ranges in depths from 5 feet to 27 feet at the cut in the reef. No need for lights or even you camera flash.

If you want deep water shots Esperelda and Palancar Reef (yes there's one in Cozumel too) are great for the big critters. I got a shot of a loggerhead turtle that measured at least 6 feet in width. He was at the botton of a canyon at about 100' trying to crack open a hermit crab's shell. He eventually cracked it and sucked down the crab.

You'll love the viz there. If you have a flash don't go crazy with it (like I did at first). Anything above 60' I simply opened up the ISO switching between 200 and 400. My shutter speeds alternated between 1/15 and 1/30 and aperature journeyed around f5 to f8.

Have fun with your camera. You will love shooting in Belize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom