Recommendations for a reputable PADI IDC in Sydney, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a couple PADI-based place I've done various levels of training with and would recommend - Abyss Scuba Diving in Rockdale and Frog Dive in Willoughby. Abyss tends to be "busier" I think, so class numbers tend to be bigger, but the instructors I've had with them have been pretty awesome and they are rated as a 5 star CDC - Frog Dive didn't seem to be as "busy" so the classes are a bit smaller, but the level of instruction was just as good - I'm not sure if they hold a CDC rating or not?

There are quite a few different LDS around Sydney that - I can only recommend these two as I've had first-hand experience with both. If you're not particularly tied to PADI for instructor training, there are SSI, SDI and RAID places around too.

Thank you davegster for the feedback, much appreciated.Actually I'm already a CMAS instructor and working on some TDI specialities as well, such as Side Mount. I'm moving to Sydney soon and thought to cross over from CMAS to PADI. However if other training authorities are widely recognized in Australia other than PADI I would consider. So if you have specific recommendation for SSI or SDI then I appreciate if you would share them as well.Thanks again for your help

No problem :) From my own experience, I think PADI is probably the most widely known here, followed by SSI and SDI, with RAID picking up steam. I believe there is at least one place in Sydney that is affiliated with GUE as well.

For SSI (though I think they also offer RAID as well), I'd recommend Snorkel Safari - they have a number of shops in different parts of Sydney. St George Underwater do SDI/TDI training, though I don't have much experience with them.

Dive Center Bondi is the GUE affiliate in Sydney, and a PADI 5 Star shop. They have a good reputation and I'm sure would manage a good course. I know some of the folks who work there.

Thank you for the advice, however I believe that Dive Center Bondi don't provide IDC. They can be of great use for GUE though

Sorry, thought they were. I have only done Tech 1 through them.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I know Frogdive does courses for a number of agencies besides PADI The onsite pool makes up for being a bit further from the water than some of the other ops. Dennis or John there would be happy to tell you the best place for your needs. They both extremely ethical and honest. Mark at Snorkel Safari has been in the business over 30 years and runs an excellent shops as well. The One in the CBD tends more to the tourist trade. The Snorkel Safari near Bare Island is excellent.

Sydney Dive Academy nearby is under new ownership and I have heard great things about them. I'm recovering from foot surgery so out of the water for a bit and haven't dealt with them myself yet.

We have quite a few excellent shops in the Sydney area so some will depend on where you are going to be located as well.

Let us know how you make out. Maybe we'll be able to connect for a dive once I am back in the water :)

Back
Top Bottom