Recommendations for a good place for a single diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sendero

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking at taking a trip somewhere in the Caribbean (nice and specific, i know :) )this summer for some laid back beach time as well as some fun diving. I'll be travelling alone and would be looking for dive operations that are good with divers travelling alone but looking for dive buddies, especially beginner to moderate skill divers.

As for what I'm looking for in a dive location, I'd really like to just get out in to some great visibility areas and take in colorful sea life, reefs,and possibly some shark observations.

I would be open to doing a liveaboard for 3 nights or so but can't take off enough time from work for a week-long one.

I'm admittedly a newb so if there is other useful info i can provide please let me know and I'll fill in the blanks.

Last edited:
Bonaire is always a good option. It's usually pretty easy to join a group or find another diver traveling alone. I might suggest you say "traveling alone" as opposed to "solo". Solo implies diving alone, I understand what you mean but some may not.
I have had good luck (as have others) just asking on the Bonaire board if anyone else is traveling alone and in need of a buddy. Chances are good someone will invite you to join their group. Bonaire Talk - The place to discuss everything and anything about Bonaire!

Bonaire is always a good option. It's usually pretty easy to join a group or find another diver traveling alone. I might suggest you say "traveling alone" as opposed to "solo". Solo implies diving alone, I understand what you mean but some may not.
I have had good luck (as have others) just asking on the Bonaire board if anyone else is traveling alone and in need of a buddy. Chances are good someone will invite you to join their group. Bonaire Talk - The place to discuss everything and anything about Bonaire!

Thanks for the suggestions. I've updated my post to be more clear on the travelling solo but not diving solo.

I'm also tempted by Curacao, particularly with the Curacao Now promotion going on for the next couple days. How does that stack up?

Hello, i would suggest to dive barbados. It is a very nice, friendly and peacefull island with some nice diving. I also travel and dive alone and i have never felt safer than when i was in barbados. I have been there 3 times and i dive with fatima, the owner of "the dive shop",ltd. In my opinion, you cannot go wrong. Tell fatima that jose' luna sent you.

Curacao worked great for me as a single diver. I stayed at "Breezes" all inclusive (top shelf booze!) Good food. Met many partiers from all over. Great night dive on their jetty. Get a buddy to go later in the evening, at least an hour after dark. Stay in 20' of water or less. I stayed out almost two hours. Octopus, rays, eels drum, shrimp, crabs, flounder, lobster, to name a few. I will go back there sometime sooner or later. I would go back for that dive only, and of course the party.

Caveat: Might be kids there after school is out.

Water was 83F during first week of december, viz was great

Last edited:
I travel alone for diving as well. I have been to Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Belize, Puerto Rico, and Roatan. I had a great time in all of those locations.

Sendero, hi! I'm also a solo traveling diver in the process of planning a trip to Curacao for the last 2 weeks in June. I've been all over the Caribbean, but this will be my first time in Curacao. I've been doing lots of research and connecting with others on SB; it sounds like an amazing place with lots of dive options (shore and boat).

I'm planning to be on the east end for a week, scheduling with Ocean Encounters (for boat dives) and The Dive Bus (for shore dives). Then I'm heading out to Westpunt for a week to connect with other SBers who'll be in the area and scheduling with Ocean Encounters West.

Whatever your summer plans, good luck and enjoy. Plan a trip that works according to your schedule and go. Even if you don't have a dive partner lined up in advance, it's a great opportunity to meet new people. Decent dive operators always make sure to buddy you up with someone in the group (or else you'll dive alongside the divemaster). Don't be shy about your dive experience either, we all started out as "newbs".

Why not consider Cayos Cochinos in the Bay Islands?
Its low key with small groups of divers.

Great viz, great diving and very healthy reefs. Diving from Caves, Walls, reefs and sea mounts, it really has everything!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom