Recommendations for 6 Pack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottschop

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Greetings fellow Captains,

I am looking at getting back into the dive charter business, this time as an actual boat owner and captain. I've been doing a lot of research on vessels, but would like some actual hands on experience or recommendations for 6 pack vessels.
Some that have peaked my interest are Island Hoppers, Cat Limbo, Sportcraft and Shamrocks.
One of the main problems is finding one in good used condition.

Conditions are West Central Florida, gulf stuff, mostly students and maybe a trip or two to the Middlegrounds.

Any advise would help.

Thanks

Island Hopper, Delta, Newton, all can be built ready to go right out of the box. Most of them out there were built to do the job you're looking for, so they would also be ready to go used. The M/G would be one heck of a trip, with fuel what it is, for 6 people. I'd try to stay out there for at least a couple days.

If you want advice from people in areas other than Florida, perhaps you could give us an idea of the size of seas you expect to be able to dive in, the distance to/from the sites, and how much room you want for your passengers...

I have no clue what conditions are like there, and although I could look it up, I'd rather hear it from you...

This is almost like asking "who do you think I should marry?" Once you buy the boat you might as well be married to her, so think it through carefully.

The choice of what boat to operate is very personal and based upon a lot of factors, not the least being how much you are willing to spend. Since you are talking used, then the range is very wide and the quality, as you have already figured out, varies just as much.

First you need to decide the basic layout and size range you will be most satisfied with and what will fit the needs operating in your area, then start the hunt from there. I have been through many boats over the years and IMO bigger is better in a dive boat. However, with the limitations of income of a 6 pack, there can be a diminishing return on the cost of operation of a larger boat so you must take that into account as well. This is one reason that you see so many single screw mid 30 boats in the dive charter work as it seems to be a fair trade off for areas with mostly calmer waters. Just remember that no dive boat leaves the dock light. Whatever you are looking at has to be able to carry a big deck load safely without losing stability and operating speed. You are in the used boat capitol of the US so once you decide on the style and size there should be plenty to look at.

The used older vessel may have more deferred maintenance that you will have to take care of to make it safe and reliable enough to operate in the charter business. But that may not be true as age is just one factor, the level of maintenance over the time in service is generally more important. How mechanically inclined are you and how much of a beater are you willing to buy? Most of what I saw the last time I was shopping used certified dive boats were in less than stellar condition and I wondered how they were maintaining the certification.

It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend on the project, time as well as money. It may be a difficult search or you might fall in love with the first one you see, but my advice is GET A GOOD MARINE SURVEYOR before you hand over any money. They may just keep you out of trouble or confirm what you already know or suspect. Don't be cheap and buy the best set of second eyes that you can find.

Don't forget that you have to have some cash left over to take care of the other start up costs of the business and there will be plenty of them if you wish to be around for more than a season..

quick question - why not go inspected? I know there are more requirements and such, but the ability to handle more than 6 passengers has to count for something... even if it was just 8 or 10, thats 33-66% more capacity to make money, and most dive boats in a reasonable size will comfortably carry 8-12... a 30' Newton or Island Hopper are good for 12-14 divers, and if you put 8-10, would be quite comfortable... get into the 36' range, and a Newton is good for 20-23 divers, and even 16 is comfortable, with 8-10 feeling like there is hardly anyone on the boat...

I do understand if you are completely against it... it is quite easy to upgrade your license if all you have is the OUPV...

Just remember that no dive boat leaves the dock light. Whatever you are looking at has to be able to carry a big deck load safely without losing stability and operating speed.

Don't forget that you have to have some cash left over to take care of the other start up costs of the business and there will be plenty of them if you wish to be around for more than a season..

No truer words could be said on both counts. Tortuga is a very sea worthy 31' 6 pack but with 6 divers and their gear I go from a 22 knot boat to a 18 knot boat. I can't imagine a 30 foot boat with 10 divers, crew and gear that could effectively run the 35 miles to the dive site every day in 3 foot seas.

Excellent advise from all of you, I really appreciate it.

It is easy to loose site of the weight that a single diver accumulates once you count all the gear, and, how it effects performance and fuel consumption, thats pretty big, thanks for that!

If I was to go certified, then a vessel larger than 30' would have to be a must, and I think a Newton would probably be in the cards.

Again, thanks much. You guys rock!!!

What's your budget? I'm always watching 2 or 3 potential work horses.

Tony Bach
Len-Der.com

I had a 30 ft Alura Mainship that I used as a six pack charterboat. So basically you have 6 paying customers and 2 Diving crew from a dive shop and a Capt.

Each diver usually has 2 tanks but on some wreaks they would be running 2 sets of doubles and a extra hang bottle or tow and a Oxy bottle plus all the othe crap.

The boat had a cabin with head and galley and a hardtop and a Gas engine. I added 12"x48" Hyd trim tabs and made it handle better.

If I had a clean sheet of paper I would layout a 3/4 keel 40 ft long 16 ft wide, 4 ft deep keel with a pair of Cummins 500 HP Turbo intercooled and a full cabin with full hardtop with Flybridge. Put a day head topside for the divers and a full head below for Capt/Crew. Run . Have a nice hot water Potty washdown shower on the aft deck off the hardtop and built in icebox coolers in the decks running off a rrefriderationss system off one of the diesils. Have the Hydraylics for the winchs running off the other engine.

Simple ecectronics. Duel Compass, Single 10 inch GPS/Chartplotter in cabin interfaced to a 4KW Radar and two 10 In Color fishinders one on the flybridge, one in the cabin helm. Hyd Trim Tabs of course and a 8 ft by 16 ft wide dive platform off the stern.

Hyd Windlass for the bow anchor and hyd windless fro the pot hauler.

A 3,000psi compresser running off a hydraulic PTO from one of the diesils.

Also a must is a little dingy to tow a few hundred yards behind the boat in which you place Whiny Faggot Divers that you just cant listen to any longer when they start their temper tantrums.
quest_-year_1.1177087800.p1010017.jpg

I had a 30 ft Alura Mainship that I used as a six pack charterboat. So basically you have 6 paying customers and 2 Diving crew from a dive shop and a Capt.

Each diver usually has 2 tanks but on some wreaks they would be running 2 sets of doubles and a extra hang bottle or tow and a Oxy bottle plus all the othe crap.

The boat had a cabin with head and galley and a hardtop and a Gas engine. I added 12"x48" Hyd trim tabs and made it handle better.

If I had a clean sheet of paper I would layout a 3/4 keel 40 ft long 16 ft wide, 4 ft deep keel with a pair of Cummins 500 HP Turbo intercooled and a full cabin with full hardtop with Flybridge. Put a day head topside for the divers and a full head below for Capt/Crew. Run . Have a nice hot water Potty washdown shower on the aft deck off the hardtop and built in icebox coolers in the decks running off a rrefriderationss system off one of the diesils. Have the Hydraylics for the winchs running off the other engine.

Simple ecectronics. Duel Compass, Single 10 inch GPS/Chartplotter in cabin interfaced to a 4KW Radar and two 10 In Color fishinders one on the flybridge, one in the cabin helm. Hyd Trim Tabs of course and a 8 ft by 16 ft wide dive platform off the stern.

Hyd Windlass for the bow anchor and hyd windless fro the pot hauler.

A 3,000psi compresser running off a hydraulic PTO from one of the diesils.

Also a must is a little dingy to tow a few hundred yards behind the boat in which you place Whiny Faggot Divers that you just cant listen to any longer when they start their temper tantrums.
quest_-year_1.1177087800.p1010017.jpg

I think I can agree with almost everything!

Just one quick note though, your first line, about having the 2 dive shop DM's with the 6 divers - this is fine, so long as they are on a Coast Guard approved drug testing policy and are listed as crew on the boat, and did not pay to go diving. If they paid, and/or they are not listed as crew with all the proper CG paperwork done, then, you are effectively running with 8 passengers...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom