Recommendations/advise on which technical BCD to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi I am new to the technical diving world and would like to purchase my own bcd. Any advise out there to help me in making this decision. I believe with proper care a bcd can and should last for years thus I am asking for advises I am looking to technical bcds. Do let me know your two cents worth. Thanks!

Unless you plan to go sidemount the only choice is a BPW, Back Plate and Wing. There are so called tech BC's out there that are not. They are tech style designed by those with an obvious lack of technical diving experience.

A BPW is simply a steel or aluminum plate, basic one piece harness (some may have quick releases), and a wing of the appropriate size for the equipment it may have to support. There are numerous manufacturers of them and basically other than cosmetic differences and materials used for the wings they all work the same. Whether they are priced at $350.00 or $800.00. No difference in function.

I have an 11 page article that goes into detail on set up, options, and is illustrated. Send me your email address via private message or email me at jimlap212@comcast.net and I'll send you a copy of it.

my personal preference is Deep Sea Supply as I think they offer the best quality/performance/price. They have a dealer up in Selangor, so you should be able to get those pretty easily. Email deep sea supply directly for advice on which plate and wing to get and see if the dealer over there can get one imported for you

Hi I am new to the technical diving world and would like to purchase my own bcd. Any advise out there to help me in making this decision. I believe with proper care a bcd can and should last for years thus I am asking for advises I am looking to technical bcds. Do let me know your two cents worth. Thanks!

I speak with many new divers or divers making the move to technical diving every week. All too often they have been sold a "Technical" BC that is unsuited to the task. Huge lift, festooned with drings with "extreme" or similar in the name. While no doubt one could use one of these to conduct a technical dive a BP&W is a much better solution.

The modular nature of a BP&W allows the BC to be much better matched to a given application.

The height of the diver determines the size of the back plate.

The "ballast budget" determines if the ballast offered by a Stainless Steel plate is useful, or if a much less negative Aluminum or Kydex Plate is a better choice.

The buoyancy of the divers exposure suit and (for doubles) the weight of back gas determines the required lift capacity.

Keep in mind that technical diving is gear intensive. It's quite common for active tech divers to end up with more than one plate and several wings if they dive across a range of conditions.

A common mistake I see new tech divers make is to try and buy the "ultimate" setup, i.e. huge tanks, thick under garments and very high lift wing, figuring they won't ever have to buy anything again.

Then they have very burdensome gear for the numerous shallow skills dives they will be making while they learn their new skills.

To make a recommendation I need:

Height and weight

Exposure suit buoyancy

Cylinders to be used.

I might need a couple other details to refine the recommendation but those are the three main items.

Tobin

tobin@deepseasupply.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom