Recommendation needed for daughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRamsey8258

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m looking for a BC for my 15 y/o daughter. We are about 50/50 local and travel diving, so moving between 7mil and rash guard on a pretty regular basis. I think I have it narrowed down to a Dive Rite Hydro Lite and HOG Total Buoyancy. Anyone have experience with both or either of these, or something else that may work better?

Both of those are 80% of the way to a classic BPW. And seem kinda pricey.

Just build a plain old BPW. Halcyon, Helium, Dive Rite, Pirahna, DGX, all offer them.

DGX's 30# wing is a good start. Any Al plate. Any medium to firm webbing. Any buckle and rings. Any crotch belt. Plastic tank cam bands.

Both of those are 80% of the way to a classic BPW. And seem kinda pricey.

Just build a plain old BPW. Halcyon, Helium, Dive Rite, Pirahna, DGX, all offer them.

DGX's 30# wing is a good start. Any Al plate. Any medium to firm webbing. Any buckle and rings. Any crotch belt. Plastic tank cam bands.
The Hydro Lite goes for $640 and the HOG for about $540. The only BPW that's going to cost the OP less is a DGX, depending on how it's optioned out.

My teenage son has been diving this Sea Elite Scout BCD for about 5 years now, diving Tennessee quarries, the Caribbean, the Gulf, Atlantic, etc. He loves underwater photography, and has no trouble dialing in his buoyancy just right for macro photos. Pretty light for travel. Basically the same as the Edge Element (by H.O.G.) that I have over 200 dives in. Very good BCD at a great price:

The Hydro Lite goes for $640 and the HOG for about $540. The only BPW that's going to cost the OP less is a DGX, depending on how it's optioned out.

I didn't say it had to be cheaper.

He's spending real money, we can build a premium BPW for a lil more. Or a standard BPW for less.

Went over to Pirahna Divr MFG. Al plate with Al STA, plastic cams, 20' webbing,= $210.

Add another $200 for a Dgx 30# wing.

I should have clarified. Sticking with either a back inflate or BP/W that is easily adjustable as wetsuit thickness changes.

get the dgx package. we put our niece in one (when she was 12) and it worked out great. We even went with steel to lose some lead. She loves it. Some of the other brands have a little nicer fit and finish so more money, but the DGX is totally adequate.

easily adjustable as wetsuit thickness changes.
I don't adjust my shoulder straps between 3mm and 7mm -- they're loose unless I'm walking to the water. The waist/crotch strap is what keeps things in place.

I would go with the Dive Rite Hydro lite, it looks a lot less bulky than the Hog and Dive Rite have been around forever, make quality gear and have a big dealer network. The only thing I might do is change the bottom velcro tank strap for a proper one.
I was looking at the Dive Rite as a travel BC but went with a Sub Gravity BP/W.

Back
Top Bottom