Recommendation for DM course - both school and location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I relocated to New York earlier this year from South-East Asia. I've been meaning to do my DM for a while, but never got round to it. I have about 130 or so dives under my belt and trained up to rescue diver.

I was thinking of doing a DM course in the Caribbean later this year - possibly starting in late October. Unfortunately, I do not really have time for an extended DM internship, so I will be limited to about 3-5 weeks.

Not being terribly familiar with the region I am writing to ask around for some recommendations for both the location and possible schools. I heard good things about Bonaire and Cozumel. Would those be good choices? Has anybody done a DM course there with a school they could recommend?

Cheers,

David

I do not really have time for an extended DM internship, so I will be limited to about 3-5 weeks.

If you do all of the pre-study, read the Encyclopedia of Diving, and at least some manner of teaching ability skills, there is no reason why you couldn't hammer through the DiveMaster Course in less than two weeks. I did the DM portion in ten days.

I did mine "in paradise", but it was a waste of a good vacation spot. If you want to do it now, and get it done, look at a stateside school such as Pro Dive - Phase I: Professional Divemaster Program

Their Professional Divemaster Program consists of 5 components:

1. PADI Emergency First Responder (EFR) 1 Day

2. DAN O2 Provider ½ Day

3. PADI Rescue Diver 4 Days

3. PADI Divemaster 10 Days

4. PADI Enriched Air (Nitrox) Diver 1 Day

Thanks for the suggestion. I've trained up to rescue diver, so I hope I can do the DM in about two weeks or so. Would like to do it "in paradise", as you say, since my vacation days have been building up and, frankly, I just want to head off for a couple of weeks.

Do you guys have any suggestions for school and location? What would you recommend as a "must-see" destination for somebody who has never dived in the Caribbean or surroundings?

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom