Recommend some equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the advice is Real good. As far as gear types go. Any good LDS will let you try before you buy. I would recommend a back inflate or Back plate & wing (BP&W)configuration. I use a SCUBAPRO Knighthawk for most my diving here in the PNW and I find it keeps me upright at the surface and horizontal under the water. One of my Dive buddies still dives a Jacket, and he seems to be happy with it. I am adding a BP&W to my gearlist because I can integrate more weight into the unit and don't have to lug around a big heavy weight belt. I also am looking at running doubles and doing more technical diving. While you are out renting gear and thinking about what feels good, also think about where you want to go with diving. If you want to do more deeper diving, wreck diving, cave diving etc. Then I would recommend starting off with one of the many BP&W's out there. Another gear point is your regulator. Do not skimp on a regulator. I use a ScubaPro Mk18 primary and an HP250 Secondary, it is a Balanced Diaphram. It performs very good in extreme conditions such as Icing and Depths. When looking for a regulator, I would not settle for anything less then a Balanced regulator. Search around on the board and see what people use. Some people like Piston regulators, some like Diaphram regulators. Both have their plusses and minuses. For example Piston Regulators sometimes have problems with debris in the water, while diaphrams less so, but Diaphrams need more maintenance as the rubber in the diaphram deteriorates. (but this is not an issue because both are suppose to be serviced yearly) In Hawaii I doubt you will worry about ice, so I guess the best one you can hope to find is one that breaths effortlessly at any depth. Computers are arbitrary depending on what features you would like. I use a AirZ Nitrox that is wireless with Tank pressure. One Disadvantage to a digital tank pressure gauge is the breath check safety factor. That is, When your buddy turns on your air, and before you get in the water, you take a deep breath off your regulator while watching your pressure gauge. If the needle moves then your air is only on slightly (or off) My digital does not do that, so its possible for me to hop in the water with a tank in the Air Off position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom