Recommend Charter St.Petersburg / Tampa Area???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in the St. Petersburg, FL area Feb. 05-06. I am looking for a recommendation on a charter group. Prefer wrecks to reefs, but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks,

RDP:
I will be in the St. Petersburg, FL area Feb. 05-06. I am looking for a recommendation on a charter group. Prefer wrecks to reefs, but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks,

http://www.reeftours.com/ but diving on the west coast in winter is hit and miss. not a lot of diving going on. I would recomend the east coast if you can do it.

cdiver2:
http://www.reeftours.com/ but diving on the west coast in winter is hit and miss. not a lot of diving going on. I would recomend the east coast if you can do it.

Ditto! Seas can be too rough and our waters are shallow (less than 60 fsw - many times not more than 45 fsw!) - so this is not the best place in winter. Like he said - "hit or miss". Try to arrange for a trip down I-75 and across Aligator alley to Ft. Lauderdale area for a better dive location). If you do get lucky with the weather here, there are many "wrecks" - but most are uninteresting. Assuming that time and $ are not a problem, you might see if you can get a trip out to the Sheridan (sp?) wreck. It's a hike and is not cheap, but worth the extra time and $. Also note that water temps this time of year will likey hit the lower 60's. If you do plan on diving locally, drop me a line and I'll see if I can go out with you (and I may be able to line up a couple of great local guys with me) if you do go out on the Mac Daddy! Heck, if the timmings right, I'd possibly be willing to load up the mini van and take us down to Ft. Lauderdale over a weekend night.

Good Luck.

Jim

follow up...

What about Ginne? Than would give you the best water temps and viz. Only 2 hours away as well!

Jim

jhelmuth:
follow up...

What about Ginne? Than would give you the best water temps and viz. Only 2 hours away as well!

Jim

I'll be down for the weekend only. I'm visiting family, so I would like go somewhere local. 60 degree water doesn't sound bad to me. I'm an Indiana guy, if vis is more than 15' its good here. I was diving wet until 38 degrees. I haven't been in the water for six weeks, and it's killing me.

Winter Gulf-side may suck, but it's way better than a frozen quarry!

RDP:
I'll be down for the weekend only. I'm visiting family, so I would like go somewhere local. 60 degree water doesn't sound bad to me. I'm an Indiana guy, if vis is more than 15' its good here. I was diving wet until 38 degrees. I haven't been in the water for six weeks, and it's killing me.

Winter Gulf-side may suck, but it's way better than a frozen quarry!

Well... if it's kickin up out in the Gulf, you'd say differently I'm sure. But I know Mac well enough to know that he aint takin you out if it's a bad day. Viz is likely to be ~ 20 ft (possibly 35 or more if we have a high pressure system over us for many days with calm to mild winds). Bottom viz is always better than the first 20-25 ft. Let me know when you get down here if you are headed out on Saturday the 4th. If it's nice out and I can break away from the Super Sunday prep (we're hosting a SB party) I'd love to get out and join you. Still think Ginne would be a great alternative - just a long drive from here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom