Recommend a Manatee operation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmbelows

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, we will be visiting Jupiter Florida for a few days of diving with Captain Sl8R, in early April and are considering driving over to Crystal River to snorkel with the manatees on one day.

Anyone have any good recommendations for an outfit that offers a preferred experience.

We would be interested in something as less 'cattle boaty' as possibly, smallest number of snorkelers per boat, a naturalist or even a private experience if that is available? More than willing to pay more to get more if that's possible.

Thanks

All of the boats I saw on Manatee tours were essentially pontoon boats: they won't look anything like the Kyalami and don't have anything close to the service level you'll find on that boat. I had a nice time with American Pro, but if you're picky, you might not like it. Bird's is also in the area, but from what I saw, their boat didn't look any better. Neither is terrible, but they are not floating Ritz Carltons either. BTW, American Pro has a snorkel trip but then will take the scuba divers into the Kings Cavern after about 45 minutes for a guided tour: which I enjoyed since I got bored of the manatee snorkel after a while. I'm not sure if the new regs changed any of that though....

I started looking into some of the ones you listed and some others and April might be getting too late in the season to make it worth while, lot of reviews posted in the last week complaining about only seeing one or two manatees now.

I spoke to Bird's last week. They were very up front (as always) and said that a spell of unseasonably warm weather had disbursed the manatees and there were very few around. Saved us the trip from Fort Lauderdale. April is usually past the end of manatee season, which requires cold air and water temps to force the manatees into the warmer springs. If I were you, I would wait until you get to Florida and then call to see how the action is in Crystal River. They have had some cooler weather recently but I don't know if it has made a difference.

There are some small boat/private operators that offer enclosed cabins, heads, etc. Google search for private manatee tour and see what you find. However, the weather in April will probably be so pleasant that an enclosed boat is entirely unnecessary. Never had the need for one, myself (would rather use the money for more trips) but if the weather is really cold it might be worthwhile. Probably not needed in April, though.

My wife, son, and I went with Bird's Underwater in February and it was an excellent trip. Capt Mike was the guide and he was very personable and knowledgeable. We got more than enough time at the spring with the Manatees and felt the trip was well worthwhile.

Birds has a trip leaving at 6:00 AM but we took the 10:00 trip instead. It was cold (for Florida) that day and the people on the 6:00 trip were pretty cold when they got back. By 10:00 the sun warmed things up enough so that we were just fine. I was comfortable in my 3 mm wetsuit and we spent about 1.5 hours in the water.

We stayed the night before the boat trip at the Plantation Inn which I also recommend.

I'm a big fan of Bird's. Went out with them last in May, and it was hard to find manatees. We went on the 6am boat and they worked hard to find manatees. We didn't return until 3pm, and we watched the other boats come out after us, go back in, come back out, and go back in, before our boat went back.

If you are willing to make the drive and only see a few manatees in murky water, it's worth it, but otherwise, call ahead for weather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom