Recommend a liveaboard!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never done the Caribbean Explorer, so I can not speak to it, but I can say that I honestly believe that the Turks and Caicos Explorer was one of the best trips I have ever been on and I recommend it highly.
f you know any solo female divers I have a female share on the Turks and Caicos Explorer July 22 for $1995,

Since money seems to be a factor - look at travel costs also. On the T/C Explorer you fly into and out of Provo (PLS) and the crew meets you at the airport. We paid $10pp for the van ride to the boat and were able to fly in and out thru CLT the same day. Do get on their mail-list and check for specials - we saved $400 pp. a couple years ago. Also all cabins are ensuite and anything main deck or above is beds not bunks. It's bad enough sharing with a stranger w/o have to crawl over them at night. Big cabins also, our main deck had a full size bath, (short shower but I'm 6'4") 2 single beds, a nightstand and a corner desk.

On the Saba/St Kitt's itinerary you buy a flight to St Marteen and from St. Kitts (or the other turn) and that must cost more. Also there can't be as many flights from St. Kitts either.

A third option no one has mentioned are the mid-range sail cats in the Bahamas. Cat PPalu often sells extra spaces if someone charters most of the boat - last I heard it was $1700pp. Plus the flight to Nassau.

Similarly Lost Island Voyages - another 60ish' sailboat out of Nassau. They seem to have a more limited schedule.

Or there's Juliet out of Miami to the Bahamas. Some of their cabins are ensuite now. One Vessel – Multiple Destinations

On the Saba/St Kitt's itinerary you buy a flight to St Marteen and from St. Kitts (or the other turn) and that must cost more. Also there can't be as many flights from St. Kitts either.
St Kitts has fewer flights and they're generally more expensive than St Maarten (which has lots of flights.) However, while I recall the airlines really clobbering you for open jaw and one way itineraries in the past, that doesn't seem to be the case so much anymore, or at least not in some regions. So you just have to look at specific flights and see. We did this last year and it was pretty reasonable, with the cost on AA basically the average between the 2.

We did this last year and it was pretty reasonable, with the cost on AA basically the average between the 2.
I can vouch for that as well since my son and I also did that last year on AA. Into St Kitts and out of St Martin (both through Miami) was about $700 and that's flying out of Tulsa which isn't necessarily the cheapest airport for flights.

Early last year I spent a week on the Blackbeards cruise in the Bahamas and had an excellent time. I am getting a hankering for another week of concentrated diving and was about to sign up for another go with Blackbeards but then I figured I might as well see what other options my Scubaboard peeps might suggest. Blackbeards was great because it was $1K and very accessible from the airport. Just a very nice inexpensive and easy week of diving. I am coming from the US midwest and am wondering what other options for liveaboard are there along these same guidelines? International is not a problem but I'd like to not have multiple long layovers if possible and I'd also like to keep the costs lower since this is just going to be a spur of the moment trip. Thoughts?

@ScubaDoo83, did you decide on a liveaboard trip yet?

Since money seems to be a factor - look at travel costs also. On the T/C Explorer you fly into and out of Provo (PLS) and the crew meets you at the airport. We paid $10pp for the van ride to the boat and were able to fly in and out thru CLT the same day. Do get on their mail-list and check for specials - we saved $400 pp. a couple years ago. Also all cabins are ensuite and anything main deck or above is beds not bunks. It's bad enough sharing with a stranger w/o have to crawl over them at night. Big cabins also, our main deck had a full size bath, (short shower but I'm 6'4") 2 single beds, a nightstand and a corner desk.

A third option no one has mentioned are the mid-range sail cats in the Bahamas. Cat PPalu often sells extra spaces if someone charters most of the boat - last I heard it was $1700pp. Plus the flight to Nassau.

Similarly Lost Island Voyages - another 60ish' sailboat out of Nassau. They seem to have a more limited schedule.

Or there's Juliet out of Miami to the Bahamas. Some of their cabins are ensuite now. One Vessel – Multiple Destinations

DiverSteve

The Cat Ppalu does have several trips per year available for individual bookings and the rate is typically $1,695. We also offer Citizen Scientist charters as part of the Bahamas Coral Reef Restoration Network. Along with Marine Biologists Tanya Kamerman & Craig Dahlgren we have built a coral nursery and focus on Diadema Sea Urchin relocation. We still have 1 cabin left on our July 29-August 4 trip and just added a new date of November 4-10. These trips are typically offered at $1,595.

@ScubaDoo83, did you decide on a liveaboard trip yet?
I did not, in May I went down to Cabo for a week but half of the diving was cancelled due to conditions. It was still a great trip with some good diving though. I now have the itch for adventure again though so I am looking into options again. Lots of great suggestions in this thread, much appreciated everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom