recomendations for philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I'm going to the philippines for 3 weeks next feb/march and was thinking about going to Puerto Galera, Apo Reef then onto El Nido for the top side scenary. thinking about Donsol because I'd love to see mantas and whale sharks but concerned that it will be too disneyland ride kind of experience. anyone been to donsol? thanks

Going to PG and Donsol is straight forward but Apo Reef is something else. A liveaboard(Rags II) based in PG goes there quite often. Check its schedule please.
Some dive operators around San Jose in Mindoro also go there, check it out.

Getting to El Nido is a bit of a trick too as you can't fly there. It's about half a day by van from Puerto Princesa or a full day by ferry from Coron. The diving in El Nido was under-rated I thought. I passed through on my way to Coron and wished I'd had more time to dive there. May have had something to do with the dive operator though... the first place I went didn't impress me, but the shop I ended up diving with defintley seemed to go the extra mile. I'd planned on more days there but had to shift everything when my dates for Tubbataha changed. Long story :))

Might consider Malapascua for Manta's and Thresher Sharks, or Southern Leyte for Whale Sharks.... Just a thought :)

Getting to El Nido is a bit of a trick too as you can't fly there. It's about half a day by van from Puerto Princesa or a full day by ferry from Coron. The diving in El Nido was under-rated I thought. I passed through on my way to Coron and wished I'd had more time to dive there. May have had something to do with the dive operator though... the first place I went didn't impress me, but the shop I ended up diving with defintley seemed to go the extra mile. I'd planned on more days there but had to shift everything when my dates for Tubbataha changed. Long story :))

Might consider Malapascua for Manta's and Thresher Sharks, or Southern Leyte for Whale Sharks.... Just a thought :)

thanks, who did you dive with the second time in El Nido? I know it's difficult to get to but doesn't that cut down on the looke loos? would love to hear more of the "long story"

1. There is a small airport in El Nido.
2. Flew in there once many yrs ago with a small operator which only released the ticket FIVE days in advance.
3. Most of the passengers were staying at those exclusive resorts and I was the only exception.
4. The town of El Nido was very dusty, roads were NOT paved and power only came on in the evening ie. until 12:00 mid-night.
5. Several small dive operators in town.
6. I was NOT impressed with the diving. Dynamite fishing was rampage then. Not very present if it was set off close-by!!!!

thanks, who did you dive with the second time in El Nido? I know it's difficult to get to but doesn't that cut down on the looke loos? would love to hear more of the "long story"

I dived with Palawan Divers in El Nido. It's been a few years and I've heard that the manager who was there then no longer is there so not sure what it would be like now. Here's a link to my trip report to Palawan here on scubaboard: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...-puerto-princesa-tubbataha-el-nido-coron.html If you do a search you can probably find my other trip reports or just click on the link to my webpage that is in my signature where they've all been re-posted. I haven't gotten around to adding all the photos yet on my webpage. I've been working mostly overseas the last couple of years and my photos from most of those trips are on a computer that's in storage. You can look at more photos if you like by checking out my flickr page.

I'm sorry that I never got around to finishing up my report on my trip to Dauin, Bohol, and Southern Leyte, as that was during the time I was leaving Japan to San Diego. By the time I got all my stuff and started working on it, I was distracted by the diving there in San Diego and working photos from that. Then I ended up back overseas and had to leave everything in storage. When I made my last trip where I dived Malapascua (for the second time) and Subic Bay, I didn't even have my camera with me. If you have any questions I can answer about any of the places I've dived that I didn't answer in my trip reports feel free to ask. I'll be happy to help :) You really can't go wrong diving in the Philippines :)

Hope it helps you with your plans :)

---------- Post Merged at 06:26 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:55 AM ----------

1. There is a small airport in El Nido.
2. Flew in there once many yrs ago with a small operator which only released the ticket FIVE days in advance.
3. Most of the passengers were staying at those exclusive resorts and I was the only exception.
4. The town of El Nido was very dusty, roads were NOT paved and power only came on in the evening ie. until 12:00 mid-night.
5. Several small dive operators in town.
6. I was NOT impressed with the diving. Dynamite fishing was rampage then. Not very present if it was set off close-by!!!!

Yes, that is true, there is a private airport there. Didn't think about it. My understanding was that this airport is used by the big resorts there. I didn't realize there are exceptions :) I stand corrected, "most" people going to Palawan will fly into Puerto Princesa or Coron. "Practically" speaking, those of us coming from outside the Philippines, won't be flying into El Nido :wink:

I stayed in town while I was there. I have also heard that who you dive with will have a lot to do with the kind of diving you get. Obviously they didn't take you to any of the good diving there, which is unfortunate. You don't say when you went, but I didn't experience any dynamite fishing in any area I was diving in during my trip.

I enjoyed the diving there. YMMV :wink: I tell people to read my trip report, look at the photos (a picture is worth a thousand words they say :wink:), and decide for themselves if it's someplace you want to go too. I dont think I would make a trip "just" to dive El Nido, but wouldn't have a problem combining it with another trip if I go back. There "are" much better places to dive in the Philippines though. Palawan is nice if you want to do some "above water" activities as well.

Yes, there is a small airport, tickets can be purchased thru Seair or ITI. It will cost more than a flight to Coron or Puerto Princessa, because it is a private airstrip. It may be worth it as it saves time on your holiday. And the added expense of the ferry from Coron or bus from Puerto. I live in Coron and have only had a whirlwind tour of El Nido. I did make the effort to walk into almost all of the dive shops there. I wanted to try and find which shops would make my customers from Coron happy. One shop, I was alone for 5 minutes until the lady decided to come inside. Palawan Divers staff was the most helpful and genuinely interested in me as a customer. I know the owner of Submariner personally, and I could not make a secret entry. The same two named dive shops above have had the best recommendations from my customers that travel from El Nido on to Coron. If you are just going for top side scenery, El Nido is a beautiful place. They filmed part of the upcoming Jason Bourne movie there a few months ago. If you are looking for something even more remote, look into Port Barton nearby. One possible itinerary would be to bus and boat from Manila to PG. Bus or boat to San Jose Mindoro. Stay/Dive Apo Reef from Pandan Isalnd. Then catch a cargo boat to Coron, Palawan. It is a cargo banka, you could be with furniture, pigs, whatever. Montenegro has a new boat to El Nido. 4 hours and 1800 pesos. The banka boats are a little less cost wise, but take 8 hours. Don't let anybody tell you it will be shorter. Then van or bus down to Puerto Princessa. Feb/March is busy season. I would recommend booking early.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom