Recomendations - Caribbean Destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought the diving in Belize was great, but I've only done it on a liveaboard with almost all dives out at Lighthouse, except for a swing down south once. Best not to generalize about Belize, it's a whole country and diving (and other stuff) in different parts is very different.

khatley:
Looks like my options are Anguilla, Antigua, Aruba, Barbados, Bonaire, Canouan, Curacao, and Dominican Repulic

Of the above I have been to Barbados (Certified there) and Aruba. Barbados i was getting certified so I only dove shallow easy dives. I LOVED the island however and will eventually return

Aruba - I read alot about it here on scubaboard (mostly bad) so i was pleasantly suprised when i went. The diving was great with an ABUNDANCE of healthy Corals and Sealife, cool wrecks and beautiful warm water.
Sadly I will not return to Aruba due to the high cost of everything other than diving on that island (every meal seemed to be nearly $100.00) But if you like diving with a side of gambling Aruba is good for you.

khatley:
Looks like my options are Anguilla, Antigua, Aruba, Barbados, Bonaire, Canouan, Curacao, and Dominican Repulic...we love Cozumel and are looking for something similar. I love Caves and anything I can swim into, my wife loves drift diving but we are open to try something new. Thanks for your suggestions

Been to Aruba, would recommend it as a fun Caribbean island vactaion, but not so much as a dive destination. Been to Curacao. Much better diving. Very healthy corals and lots of color everywhere. Haven't been to Bonaire, but planning a trip there this October, plenty out there to research.

Given the choice of those destinations, my vote personally would be for Bonaire.

Hi. I have several suggestions that may fit your "primitive" :) tastes:
1. Bonaire - As one poster above says, a perenial favorite of Rodale's Scuba Diving reader's poll. Favorite hotels/dive ops include Buddy Dive, Sand Dollar and more.
2. Chinchorro Banks - Fly into Cancun and drive your rental car 3.5 hours down to southern Yucatan's Mahahual region, where Chinchorro is about 2+ hours' boat ride away. This is still a fairly undiscovered region for divers (some say like Cozumel was 20 years ago). Other activities: Mayan ruins, bird watching. Better resorts include Maya Ha and Maya Palms. This probably isn't what you're looking for if you're into 5 star hotels and luxury. Not sure if you can find travel agents who offer package deals for this, but the hotels do offer multi-day packages.
3. Southern Belize (Hamanasi, Placencia etc) - You can dive the coral atolls or with whalesharks certain times of the year. You can add Mayan ruins, jungle treks, fishing, wildlife watching, cave tubing etc. Bay Adventures has packages for Hamanasi.
Dive safely.

Our favorite trip to date was a week at Brac Reef resort at Cayman Brac. Wonderful experience. American flies there. Reef Divers is a wonderfully run operation, the food at the resort is excellent, and I really can't think of one thing about it!
Check it out!

I'll second (third?) Grenada as a great destination. We were there two years ago and loved it. Diving is great and the people were wonderful. Everybody has a new roof! Belize is also a great place for both diving and eating. I enjoy Ambergris, but will probably spend a little time next trip on Caye Caulker, it is as laid back as I've seen in the Carib.

Dave

lisa_j:
Our favorite trip to date was a week at Brac Reef resort at Cayman Brac. Wonderful experience.

Nice place, good dive operation, good diving.

American flies there.

Um, no they don't.

I just double-checked on AA's website in the hopes that someone other than Cayman Airways has started to fly again to the Brac (airport code CYB), but no such luck.

The closest that you can get to Brac Reef Beach Resort (BRBR) on Cayman Brac via American Airlines is Grand Cayman (GCM). From there, its either a short hop on Cayman Airways (CAL) or an ~80 mile swim.

Try not to ask for a taxi in Grand Cayman to drive you there (I've seen that happen!); plan ahead to take CAL's jet instead of the puddle-jumpers, as you'll otherwise get nailed on baggage weight limits.

-hh

-hh:
Um, no they don't.

Oops! You're right. I forgot about Cayman Airways - I just remembered that we flew down American (Miami)
Still a great place :wink:

Back
Top Bottom