recomendation for a two night on mainland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nuts4corals

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
so I am going to have two nights ahead of getting out to on of the islands in Belize. Was told that water taxis between islands is non existent and that one would have to travel back to Belize city to catch a boat transfer to the islands. So thought maybe its best if I could find something within an hour (by bus) maybe upto 1.5 hours of Belize international airport to stay for two nights. I am open to either north of belize city or south. Just someplace I can get my fins wet and do a 2-3 tank dive someplace close...

a list of dive resorts on the mainland around 1.5 hours of belize city to start my research would be awesome. Personal exp. a plus. Please advise!

There are no islands in Belize they are cayes. Ambergris Caye is the center of diving in Belize. Dive operators are mostly on the cayes but there are some in the south. The best diving in Belize is on the atolls. Transport to and from the cayes is either by caravan or water taxi. The water taxi connects CC and AC. Air to Caye Caulker is currently suspended account of rebuild of the runway. Placencia or San Ignacio would be good for a few mainland days. Placencia has dive operators but the place is 20 miles from the reef. Use gmaps and you tube to look at stuff. Look at a few things on the Fire stick Belize app.

Thanks for the correction... cays vs islands... lol.

What is the app called exactly? tried finding this fire stick and could not find anything?

And actually ambegris "caye" is actually not a caye or an island... its a penninsula but its still called a caye. Lol

So thought maybe its best if I could find something within an hour (by bus) maybe upto 1.5 hours of Belize international airport to stay for two nights. I am open to either north of belize city or south. Just someplace I can get my fins wet and do a 2-3 tank dive someplace close...

a list of dive resorts on the mainland around 1.5 hours of belize city to start my research would be awesome. Personal exp. a plus. Please advise!

I think we're talking about the mainland, right? If so, does it have to be by bus? Belize has two small airlines, Maya and Tropic, and they fly to all the major villages. There is no place north of Belize City for diving, so scratch that off the list. You can go south to either Hopkins or Placencia, but both are further than 1.5 hours by bus, especially when you add in the time it will take to go from the airport to the bus station in BZ City.

I think you would find taking a bus to be more trouble and time-consuming than it's worth.

Hopkins is a 25 minute flight. I'd recommend Hamanasi, a dive resort. Pricey but very nice.

Placencia is a 30 minute flight and may in fact stop first in Hopkins. All manner of hotels to fit any budget. I'd recommend my good friends at Splash, an excellent dive op, and they in turn can help book a hotel based on your needs/budget. I dive with them every year I go.

Not that I want to get into the middle of this, but cayes, pronounced "keys" as in Key West, is Spanish (or so I've been told) for small island. Or, assuming that's correct, as the Spanish would say, island is English for caye. The title for the islands always includes Caye, as in Ambergris Caye, Hatchet Caye, the Silk Cayes. When I talk about Belize with friends here, I tell them the coast is dotted with small islands, which they call cayes as in Key West but spell differently.

Oh, I forgot. There is a dive op in Belize City, Sea Sports, but I think they cater to the cruise ship crowd. You probably don't want to stay in Belize City for two nights. I've done it before and may end up doing it again someday, but it's not for the faint of heart or first time traveller unless you like to add in some significant risk on your vacation, lol.

Last edited:
If you are going out to those things surrounded by water to dive for the week have you considered doing some land based activities with the extra days on the mainland? We always fly in a day early and have gone that route a few times and really enjoyed it. There are some jungle lodge options with a lot of things to do. We have place we stay (not in Belize City) that will do shuttles to/from BZE and have options for tours to Mayan ruins etc.

Not that I want to get into the middle of this, but cayes, pronounced "keys" as in Key West, is Spanish (or so I've been told) for small island. Or, assuming that's correct, as the Spanish would say, island is English for caye. The title for the islands always includes Caye, as in Ambergris Caye, Hatchet Caye, the Silk Cayes. When I talk about Belize with friends here, I tell them the coast is dotted with small islands, which they call cayes as in Key West but spell differently.

YEP!!! :D

If you are going out to those things surrounded by water to dive for the week have you considered doing some...

Yeah I am going out to those "THINGS" baaaahahahaha :wink:

Back to the subject at hand...

@Downing Thanks again for your suggestions. Just checked out hamanassi and looks really nice. you are right about the expense part. didn't think about flights to hopkins that makes sense and I read about splash OP they seem to have alot of great review here.

@salth2owannabe... yes considering the river tubing tour or perhaps the ruins but then I may not have time to get that first dive day in.

Since this thread has been hijacked shall we get back on topic?
recommendation for a two night on mainland

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom