Rechargeable Hand Held Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Are there any rechargeable hand held dive lights currently being manufactured that recharge like a cell phone (battery stays in the unit during recharging)?

If not, why not?

Are there any rechargeable hand held dive lights currently being manufactured that recharge like a cell phone (battery stays in the unit during recharging)?

If not, why not?

Because recharging "through" the case would require running wired for the contacts through holes in the case, which would invariably fail at depth.

Suppose you could do something with an induction charger, but I don't think you'd be able to get batteries with enough oomph.

Long and short of it is that small handheld lights are cheap, and the AA or C cell batteries used to power them are cheap.

I just read somewhere (but haven't confirmed yet) that the Darkbuster hand held light does charge in it's case.

I would think that if you used potting compound behind the bulkhead/connector you could have the only connection through the case be electrical...male to female connections.

I haven't been able to see a good picture of how the Darkbuster (21/24W HID) does it yet though.

I bought my 24 watt Darkbuster through Scubatoys.com and have loved it ever since, simply for its value for the money in all categories - Lith/Ion, 3 hr burn time, 2 to 3X brighter than any light in its price range (1750 Lumens!) and the charge port is a simple scew with a rubber O-ring gasket - totally robust.

I just checked Scubatoys to see if the price was still 389.00 and its not on the site any more - don't know why (the juniou 10W HID is still there). www.scuba.com has them now for 475.00, and that is still a good value.

No problems yet with my light - I'd recommend it to anyone but the serious tech diver that has to have a canister. You can make a goodman style handle for it for hands free diving with some acrylic and a velcro calf knife strap.

Back
Top Bottom