Recent Rocky Point Experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AzAtty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My wife decided she wants to go to Rocky Point next week, so I'm thining of bringing my kit. Lobos Del Mar shipped off to Hawaii, and I've only come across "Sun 'n Fun Divers" in my searches. Are they the only game in town now, and are their Bird Island trips worth the money/time?

Sun 'n Fun is the only dive shop there that I have used....their Island trip is good....the vis is usually not bad and there is a lot to see!!!

My wife decided she wants to go to Rocky Point next week, so I'm thining of bringing my kit. Lobos Del Mar shipped off to Hawaii, and I've only come across "Sun 'n Fun Divers" in my searches. Are they the only game in town now, and are their Bird Island trips worth the money/time?

Good way to get wet in salt water.

A bit expensive for the experience.
Boats are .... so/so
Depending on the boat; can be a long ride.
Visibility is hit or miss. One experience was 50 feet with lots to see. One experience was 10 feet (at best).
Sea Lions are great out at the Island (very playful).

Don't set your expectations too high. Better than not diving.

John

John, I have found that a lot depends on the crew!!! Can be a fun ride in the right boat and with the right crew...or a very long ride...:wink:

Good way to get wet in salt water.

Don't set your expectations too high. Better than not diving.

John

My last dive was three weeks ago in Oregon, in a 78 ft-deep river between two dams, in water that was 40 degrees (Weezle Extreme is a lifesaver). Vis was less than five feet, and even then we had to use lights to see. The water level in the river dropped by two vertical feet in under 30 minutes (they opened the lower dam) over the four mile length of the section we were diving, so you can imagine how fast the river was blowing past us. On our safety stop, my brother had to prop up a good size piece of rock that had broken loose above us to keep it from falling on me. I had a blast.

So no, my diving expectations (or even requirements) aren't terribly high right now.

I too will be in Rocky point soon (AUG. 15-18). This will be my first "real" dive (non lake). If anyone has any pointers, suggestions, comments/concerns for a newbie please let me know. Is there any shore diving in Rocky point worth while or is it mainly, pony up the $115.00 and do the bird Island trip. I also am considering doing my first ever night dive out there; what do you think?

Yes there are some shore dives but understand that the tide plays a big part there...they rise and fall more than any area I have ever dove!!! Check with the crew at Sun n fun and they can direct you to some areas to shore dive....you can at least blow some bubbles!!! Honestly....If I was only going to be there for a short time I would "Pony Up" and go to the Island!!!

I also am considering doing my first ever night dive out there; what do you think?

For the night dive, save your money. Go to Saguaro lake instead. You'll be in night diving conditions once you pass five feet. :D

:rofl3: How True!!!! May be not even 5 ft!!! :D

This is when you tell her, let's go to Cancun instead honey, you deserve it. Warm water, great viz, caves, oh and much better hotels, because she's worth it. Did I mention that I'm down there now.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom