Recent Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ErosJax

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got these off of Craigslist last night for $20 and was wondering what I can do with them other than displaying them on a shelf as part of my collection. I know you guys don't necessarily consider these vintage, but I know that you would be the most knowledgeable for advice. The first pic is a Healthways Scuba Star TD first and second stage regulator. The second pic is an Aqualung Calypso IV first and second stage regulator along with a US Divers Pressure Gauge. I currently have an Aqualung Conshelf XIV and an Aqualung Conshelf XII that are in great shape and have been serviced and used from time to time. I wasn't sure if the Calypso IV could still be serviced or if I should even bother.

20130731_114034_sm.jpg
20130731_114254_sm.jpg

They are definitely vintage. The Healthways is from the late 60’s and the Calypso from the early 70’s.

The Healthways can be cleaned and serviced, but it will never be a good performer. It is a unbalanced piston first stage with a basic downstream demand valve second stage.

The Calypso can also be serviced, but the first stage seat can be hard to find (if it needs it). The first stage is a balanced flow through piston and the second stage is the same as in the Conshelf XIV.

Thanks for the info Luis! I didn't know too much about these particular regs. I have been trying to do a little research on them. I may take them apart and tinker with them some. It'll be a good learning experience. From what I can find, the Scuba Star seems to be a really simple reg. I wouldn't go diving with it, but I would try it out in a pool. Do you happen to know where I could find a service manual for the Scuba Star? I have searched around via google and came up empty. I also checked out the Vintage Double Hose site, but I think they only had Healthways catalogs. I also seemed to find some conflicting info regarding the Calypso IV. Something about a recall? But I couldn't determine if it was the Calypso IV or VI. Thanks again!

HEALTHWAYS SCUBA STAR (3).jpgHEALTHWAYS SCUBA STAR AD.jpgPlus a bit more info

Attachments

• HEALTHWAYS SCUBA STAR.JPG1 (3).jpg
    HEALTHWAYS SCUBA STAR.JPG1 (3).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 143
  • HEALTHWAYS SCUBA STAR.JPG3.jpg
    HEALTHWAYS SCUBA STAR.JPG3.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 162
Excellent info rbj! That's pretty much what I was looking for. At least some diagrams, etc.. to get me started. Thanks again!

ErosJax, I'd like to point out that Luis and regulator BJ are talking about two different regulators. If it is a ScubaStar TD, it has a downstream valve as Luis said. Hopefully, it will have the newer silicone low pressure diaphragm, and not the neoprene-impregnated nylon diaphragm as those tend to get very stiff with age. It looks to have the double exhalation valve too, which is redundant and meant to make the regulator a drier-breathing regulator. If it does have the two exhalation valves, take the lower one out and it will exhale easier. If it is a downstream valve (verses a tilt valve, shown in the parts diagrams above), then the inhalation can be fairly good. If it has a neoprene-impregnated nylon diaphragm, it needs to be "worked" by bending it a lot after you have coated it with silicone grease for about a week. Some flexibility can return. It is a very simple regulator, and many cave/wreck divers in the 1970s used them on bail-out cylinders.

Best wishes,

SeaRat

The Healthways second is not much of a diver but the simple first stage is a favorite of mine. Paired with a good second, it makes a nice small reg. I dive one with a Voit/AMF MR-12 second stage to make a small package. If your HW has a overpressure relief you can remove it and replace it with an octo or LP inflator hose as long as you use a down stream second stage.
The HP seat in the Calypso can be flipped if it needs replacement.
The USD HP gauge is another one I like. The cap gauge is easy to restore if it's cloudy and the face of the gauge is easy to restore as well. I often use one just like it.

Thanks to everyone for all the info as well as the various diagrams. It's a great help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom