Recent Night Dive (video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
I love night diving. It's such an out of this world experience and not too many humans ever even try it out.

It's not always as scary as you might think and we see amazing critters. Here's a couple video clips I thought I'd share if you want to get a feel for it. If you listen closely you will hear the whales in the background too!

Reef Squid

Moray Eel on the prowl

Isn't that eel just beautiful? I loved the squid shadow on the first clip, too. That squid looked like it just wanted you to go away, though.

How cool! And eerie with the whale calls ... imagine it in total blackness..sweet! Thanks for sharing!

Wow Doug...Thanks for the vids they were great. What did you shoot them with???

Thanks for your comments and questions and for viewing the videos. More people should try night diving and when they see how awesome it really is I think it helps them get over their initial fears and misconceptions. I have tons of cool video clips from my night dives and I can post more if you'd like.

I made the dive at one of my special, secret locations.....in about 30 ish feet, not far from shore.

The whales were especially noisy in the first part of the dive and it is kind of eerie but it's also very cool. I miss them in the spring when they leave and it gets really quiet again.

We saw four different squids on the dive that night. This one hung around for a while and although it could have easily fled, it remained pretty chill with us.

The eel's colors were especially brilliant...that's one of the reasons I love night diving...it brings out the colors on the reef and some of it's inhabitants. (Some fish become dusky and dull at night though.)

I used my Canon S-70 that night. It's a simple 7mp camera and I shoot the heck out of it. On average I take about 50 to 60 pictures/videos a day when I'm diving. This camera is very reliable and I am extremely pleased with it's performance. It's actually got some very good optics in this model. I'm using a newer one now but the last one I had eventually burned the flash mechanism out after about 50,000 shots! (You should see my U/W photo collection... Needless to say, it's huge and would take hours and hours and hours to look at.)

I have plenty more videos of night dive stuff on my YouTube Channel that you can watch anytime. Please have a look, they're all 30 seconds or less so easy to load and watch. (One of the biggest drawback to this camera is the limit of 30 seconds for a vid clip.)

Mahalo for looking folks! I'm making a night dive tonight so there may be more to see soon.

My friend has the same camera..Both of you take great pictures with it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom