Recent DM trainees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going to start my pro training, preferably doing my DM and instructor training at the same place. Like everyone I've had some pretty bad experiences at dive centres all over the world while fun diving, so deciding on a place is a big question for me.

I will do it in Indonesia, but trying to decide between Bali, Komodo, or Sulawesi. I've been to Pulau Weh and don't want to do my course there. I suppose I'm trying to consider the quality of diving as you do a lot during the course. Opportunities for work after completion, which I'm aware is tough no matter what.

Most importantly though is I'm hoping to get some help with choosing a dive centre. If anyone can share their RECENT experience with places in these areas it would be great. Any other tips or recommendations are welcome.

I don't think you will go far wrong with Oceans 5 on Gili Air in Indo, the owner and resident Course Director Sander Buis is a great guy,I he was assisting on my IDC there a few years ago,I remember having problems with a few things and he really made the effort to help me through them and I have spoke with many of his recent students and they all had a great time. The Gilis are a great place to dive and live!!!

I can second Oceans 5. They actually have two CDs on staff. Sander, as already mentioned, and also Camille Lemmens. Camille had been a CD for a number of years now, and I actually did my IDC Staff training with him nine years ago. He's a very experienced CD and his IDCs are thorough, infomative and fun too.

I can also recommend Trawangan Dive on Gili Trawangan.
I also second your first hunch of not doing it on Pulau Weh.

Good luck on your DM.

Hey Travelhard! I just finished my DMT on Gili Trawangan with Big Bubble Dive. While I wouldn't recommend a specific dive school without hearing more about what you are looking for, I really recommend Gili as a place to do your course.

I wrote extensively about my journey on my blog (which funds my travels and diving!), including advice, anecdotes, and lots of underwater photos! You can find a roundup of my series here.

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask any questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom