RECALL / Swivel commonly used on AGA mask affected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... I'm not totally convinced that its a faulty peice of equipment. I have had this happen to me at 30ft and have seen it happen once on the surface following a dive. ...

:confused: Bridgediver, I scratch my head... Regardless, I am wondering if you can provide some additional background information. On the swivel is a stamped date of manufacture. I am curious to learn if you know which swivel came disconected from the mask and the date it was manufactured.

I am also curious to know... Also, as a point of FYI, Ocean Technology Systems has also chosen to discontinue sales of the swivels based on their research and DRI is doing the same.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THEIR SWIVEL DISCONNECT FROM THE MASK?

Thanks in advance.

Blades

Although it was originally an issue with the tolerance of the nylon washer in the locking nut of the swivel, this apparently was only one issue of this design. I'll not fault M&J for the design of the swivel, frankly, Joe is a great machinist. The primary problem is that the Divator uses a finger tight fitting from the hose to the threads on the second stage. I don't want to sound like I'm now blaming this on Interspiro, they specifically don't recommend these. With the swivel being a right angle fitting, it's prone to backing off of the threads when swivel doesn't move freely. The action of looking up and down causes the locking nut to back off. With the system being pressurized, this acts somewhat as a ratchet if there is anything that causes the nut to bind with the swivel it will literally "wrench" off of the mask. Things that could cause this binding may be mineral deposits, salts or debris as well as the original tight nylon washer. The units that caused the initial voluntary recall in 2005 were found to wrench off in a very short order.

There are 90 degree elbows being made that would have the same problems, although, I've not heard of any specifically related to the elbows, the mechanics would be the same. I heard of a few failures of the hemispheres separating on the swivels, but these appear to be related to improper disassembly and reassembly.

Some have tightened the swivels with the use of tools. This can damage the regulator if improperly done. It also means that the mask cannot be easily removed from the regulator assembly. For some, the solution to this has been to put a quick disconnect to the swivel. Now you're stacking additional points of possible failures, adapters on top of adapters. In my opinion, this is an extremely dangerous way to set up your primary system. Especially with some QD's that do not positively lock, not to say anything of the potential for gas restriction. Add a little depth and this issue is compounded exponentially.

I use to use a swivel and liked the way it allowed for streamlining of my system. Since these issues arose, I went back to a standard hose. It's clean, simple and not nearly as prone to failure.

OTS insisted on the original voluntary recall when the problem was finally realized not to be "user error". For several weeks after, ALL customers that ever bought a swivel from OTS were contacted by phone, e-mail, fax or snail mail. During this, it was discovered that there were incidents outside the dates of the recall (01/04 to 02/05). The manufacturer did not want to expand the dates of the recall and as a result, OTS stopped distributing the product.

What amazes me, is that with these failures, I haven't heard of any divers being injured or worse. I think this reflects on the skill of the divers that use this equipment. Keeping your system simple is by far the easiest and safest way to resolve this issue. The simplest solution to this problem is to go back to the standard hose. The standard hose works great and provides for little opportunity of failure. We've been lucky. We know of this possible failure point, yet...

John

Hi Blades

I probably got to wordy with my explanation - as usual. Although you've quoted my words they were 2 seperate statements not one (kind of looked funny to me too so I had to look back)
What I'm driving at here is that I believe the problem to be user error not faulty equipment - at least in our 2 instances. In that the swivels were probably not tightened down good enough. Both these incidents happened early on within the 1st year of use and since that time we've had no problems in the last 2 years. I think precautions can be taken and still have the swivel in use. As I said, we pay more attention to the swivel connection on our pre-dive checks now and keep its manipulation to a minimum - I believe this to be the reason why we haven't had any further problems
BUT. Even if they do occur again, we have the training and procedures to overcome this problem

My personal thoughts are I just think that we're throwing the baby out with the bath water here. I don't consider this failure to be life threatening in our team setting because we have a complete redundant system AND we train for this type of failure on virtually every training dive (we always ascend and surface on our pony after every training dive) so the problem can be solved basically on autopilot.
What I consider a far more dangerous problem is a freeflowing suit or BCD. These will creep up on the diver until its beyond his control and then we're dealing with a rapid ascent and all the injuries that can be associated with that. Teams/divers rarely train for this yet we still use BCD's and dry suits, right?

The jury is still out whether the team will use them or not (we're still looking for more info) but if they decide to ditch them it doesn't really matter to me. I prefer to keep the swivel because I like the mobility it allows BUT if any one person on our team is uncomfortable with them we will take them off.

We checked the dates on our swivels to the recall when it came out and none of them were of that date. I can't remember off hand what they were

I find the scuba industry as a whole is bad for this: whenever something goes wrong we always want to blame the equipment when more often than not we can trace it to poor training, out of practice, brain fart, poor procedures or whatever you want to call it. I can understand why - we're reluctant to point fingers at people and choose gear instead because gear doesn't have any feelings to be hurt.
Let me be clear -- I'm not presuming anything in any of the cases that Blades cites here - I wasn't there and we aren't privy to all the details anyway so I make no judgement

I will say that its extremely rare for an accident to be 100% caused by gear alone

John - thanks for your insight too. I will take that to the guys as well

mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom