Rec Triox: Desperately trying to take diving to a new level :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6:
Why Rec Triox? Just for fun or something? why not just normoxic trimix?

You do have the option of going "straight to" Tech 1 after Fundies. Breaking it up into Rec TriOx and a shorter Tech 1 later is a little more relaxed.

FIXXERVI6:
I don't quite get the purpose of rec triox, keep in mind I'm not DIR and thats probably why.

MHK addressed this issue not so long ago.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=178589

Yet again, you push me to want to do more and learn more. I'm not going to be able to make my Fundies class this year, but I do plan on taking it next year!

Thank you for the inspiration.

Michael

Fundies is drinking through a straw. Rec Triox is swallowing the output from a fire hose.

Now try and imagine what Tech 1 and 2 or Cave 1 and 2 is like.

Of course the correct answer is that with the base of training Fundies establishes, they shouldn't be much worse.

Well, I think the cautionary tale was Steve's description of the difference between what we did and Tech 1, which really rocked me back on my haunches.

He said we were pushed in this class, but gently. We were asked to rise to the occasion, but there was no intention to push us to the wall, and he actually asked me if I had ever felt overstressed, and the answer was no. Frustrated and angry with myself, yes; but overstressed and wanting out, no.

Apparently one of the goals of the technical classes is to make sure you reach the point where you want OUT. You need to know where it is, and you need to know how to cope with it, because the environment into which you have put yourself is unforgiving, and you cannot afford the gut-level I-need-to-surface reaction we will all reach if sufficiently stressed.

Coming out of what we did in this class, I am VERY happy that we don't have Cave planned until next year. I need to be much more solid in a lot of ways before anybody tries to find out where my limits are.

I find it a bit amusing that, a year or so ago, when I asked a stupid question about cave diving, one of the instructors who's periodically here on Scubaboard told me he thought one should have about 500 dives before getting cave training. I was chagrined and said that would mean I'd have to postpone it beyond where I had planned.

As it turns out, by the time Kirk and I head for Mexico next year, I will have just about 500 dives. Matt was right.

TSandM:
Well, I think the cautionary tale was Steve's description of the difference between what we did and Tech 1, which really rocked me back on my haunches.

He said we were pushed in this class, but gently. We were asked to rise to the occasion, but there was no intention to push us to the wall, and he actually asked me if I had ever felt overstressed, and the answer was no. Frustrated and angry with myself, yes; but overstressed and wanting out, no.

Apparently one of the goals of the technical classes is to make sure you reach the point where you want OUT. You need to know where it is, and you need to know how to cope with it, because the environment into which you have put yourself is unforgiving, and you cannot afford the gut-level I-need-to-surface reaction we will all reach if sufficiently stressed.

Coming out of what we did in this class, I am VERY happy that we don't have Cave planned until next year. I need to be much more solid in a lot of ways before anybody tries to find out where my limits are.

I find it a bit amusing that, a year or so ago, when I asked a stupid question about cave diving, one of the instructors who's periodically here on Scubaboard told me he thought one should have about 500 dives before getting cave training. I was chagrined and said that would mean I'd have to postpone it beyond where I had planned.

As it turns out, by the time Kirk and I head for Mexico next year, I will have just about 500 dives. Matt was right.

I have been on boats where the tech 1 students have been doing their deeper training dives. (day 3 and day 4) None of them looked like they were having much fun. They all looked, tired, stressed and grim.

Sooooo.... how did the diaper work? :huh:

Salt, Kevin, salt. Much preferable to diapers, and quite effective in the two hour range. :D

TSandM:

From personal experience, that is not a very fun point to be at in a dive. Sure, it was only 20-30 feet of water...but when that voice is screaming in your head, "HOLY CRAP I NEED TO SURFACE NOW!" thank goodness for the calm little voice going "Dude, if this were a 150 foot decompression dive, you'd need to calm the ____ down and deal with this down there. So chill."

A very sobering moment that I will not forget for a very long time.

And Kevin's right about those Tech 1 students...you take them to a gorgeous site with clear, blue, cold water and 40-50' vis and they're the ones who are not looking happy because they just got their butt kicked by a [one person] maskless, [another person] air-sharing, [simulated] decoing with bottle switch free ascent where the first SMB shot "fails." But, man those first 10 minutes of looking at the site [while nervous about what the instructor was going to cause on this dive] were nice...

your report was wonderful, as always, lynne!

rainman_02:
And Kevin's right about those Tech 1 students...you take them to a gorgeous site with clear, blue, cold water and 40-50' vis and they're the ones who are not looking happy because they just got their butt kicked by a [one person] maskless, [another person] air-sharing, [simulated] decoing with bottle switch free ascent where the first SMB shot "fails."

Stop it! Stop it! The nightmares are returning!! Makes 'em go AWAY!!

rotk2183.jpg

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom