Rebreather Weight Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One point you brought up but no one touched on is DRAG, you can dive a set of doubles without slinging bottles under your arms, this is not the case with rebreathers. so DRAG can be an issue if you have a Rebreather, 2 bail outs, a Dry Suit, and the loop to contend with.

However, this is a minor issue compared to all the positives your get out of the deal.

Doubles are just not fun any where but in the water, to fill them, change them out on the boat, to drag them to and from the car.... and lets not forget the COST OF 240 cubic feet FEET of trimix! PLUS COST OF DECO GAS!.

One point you brought up but no one touched on is DRAG, you can dive a set of doubles without slinging bottles under your arms, this is not the case with rebreathers. so DRAG can be an issue if you have a Rebreather, 2 bail outs, a Dry Suit, and the loop to contend with.

However, this is a minor issue compared to all the positives your get out of the deal.

Doubles are just not fun any where but in the water, to fill them, change them out on the boat, to drag them to and from the car.... and lets not forget the COST OF 240 cubic feet FEET of trimix! PLUS COST OF DECO GAS!.

I hear ya brother. I love diving, but not that much to have that gorilla straped to my back. The last dive of Adv Nitrox/Decom class and it hasta la vista doubles rig for this guy. Thanks for the reply!

I changed over to an RB many, many years ago for the weight savings. My RB is unusual in that I have the bail-out gas attached to the rig rather than slung, but even with those bottles (usually double 20's or double 40's), it's lighter and more hydrodynamic than big doubles.

My MK-15 is a hair under 70lbs. More modern units are quite a bit lighter, in the 40 to 50 lbs. range.

IMHO, you will end up with more gear strapped to you than with OC sport diving, no doubt about it. you will probably eventually end up with as much gear strapped to you as OC tec. What used to bug me about all the gear was how little all that extra gear afforded one on OC. I've gotten over it as I've ventured deeper/longer with a rebreather because the pay off is that big... simply put, for the huge window of opportunity that CCR opens up, the effort to cary the extra gear is worth it for those who are avid divers... on OC it just wasn't for me.

I recommend easing into it. getting familiar with it all at your own pace is what makes the difference between feeling overwhelmed by it all and being totally psyched to explore, despite all the gear.

g

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom