Rebreather rescue training??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X:
If someone is ox-toxing...you would add dil to the loop (if the mouthpiece is still intact) and get them to the surface while periodically venting the CCR/drysuit/BCD and adding dil. With rescue of unconscious diver it is typically adding dil. (as a known mix). However, if the dil. is something hugely helium-based (hypoxic mix) the protocols will change. Given that your hubby is just starting out - he'll be certified as an air dil. ccr diver. No worries there with regards to dil. %.

All the best with hubby!

X

Without addressing the pros/cons of CCR diving ...

I would say, rather than try to mess with the rebreather in this case, get the husband onto your octo/long hose (i.e. off the ccr altogether) and onto a known good gas for that depth. Messing with the rebreather is asking for trouble.

Also, if it is ox-tox, then understand there may be a period when during convulsions, the toxing diver will not take a reg, and also should not be ascended (as their airway will be blocked)

wait for the convulsions to stop, then try to give them a reg and ascend them.

The easiest way to ascend them is to get behind and on top, dump all gas from your BC and use their BC to control the buoyancy.

WHen you get near the surface, flip them over so they are face up and inflate their BC to stop them drowning.

Definitely something worthwhile practicing!

Good questions and good of you to be concerned. Al got mity lucky. :wink:

The most important thing you need to do is know and be able to identify the symptoms of hypoxia, hyperoxia and hypercapnia. Personally I believe that a BOV, a loop shut off valve with an integrated OC 2nd stage, is the safest way to go. A simple twist on the valve will close the loop and allows the diver to breath fresh gas.

Get to know all the displays, the counterlungs with manual add valves and dump valve. It may come in handy, though I believe you may well do better keeping an eye on him when he sets up and tests his gear. Prevention is always better than the cure. Don't let him dive the unit if it doesn't check out! :wink:

In the same spirit, do buddy checks in and underwater. When descending, and throughout the dive, watch for gas leaks. There shouldn't be any from the back of the unit or hoses. As on OC, where you periodically inquire about your buddies gas content, inquire about pO2. If he gets the HUD you'll be able to keep an eye on it, too, but periodically checking the gauges is the safe way to go.

Madmole made a flyer some years back for OC divers. Much of it is geared towards the Inspiration he dives, but can be adapetd for any other unit. So You're Diving an Inspiration Since you'll be a steady dive partner, have a genuine intrest and access to the manuals and the unit you'll be ahead of that paper in no time, but it does have some good pointers, too.

Thanks Guys, such an interesting thread and some great responses :D

I was reading this thread on Rebreather World

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/megalodon-rebreather/738-diving-without-stage-bottle.html

There was a statement made there (sorry I cant find the post but it is there) that their motivation for carrying a stage bottle was to make it back to family and loved ones.

I cannot think of any motivation greater than making it back safely for your loved ones and friends and spending time, whether it is sharing time and experiences or a few beers etc etc.

We owe to them as well as ourselves to maintain our equipment, discuss procedures and ensure adequate bail out plans.

Here I am 16 hours in and so far I am over the "buyers remorse" and starting to enjoy diving my unit (the Meg). :eyebrow:

So far I have explained a few things to my wife in terms of operation and she has seen me set things up using a check list and taking notes on the Cell readings and Battery Voltage.

We always go through a dive plan, which is usually is, descend to 3 - 5 metres. Signal OK, ensure everything is OK, set setpoint, bring loop to setpoint and counterlungs to the appropriate volume and off we go. On ascent, she does realise that I will be going up a lot slower to ensure that the loop partial pressure of 02 doesn't drop down dramatically, so far so good.

While we are diving my wife knows to read my HUD and respond accordingly.

The basic procedure is, if it is flashing Red or Orange, she will point to her eye to ensure a proper response from me. Grren is good)

My response will be to give the OK signal, check the HUD, check the Handsets, I will then inform her of the cell readings, and giving her the appropriate signal, so far, it has been the OK signal.

This forces me to respond, that way my wife will know if there is something wrong or if there is an issue, especially if I do not respond. And this is done even if I have recently check my PP02. From there it is basically stop and think then act, and it could be bail out or otherwise.

At the moment everything is fitted out for me (we, rebreather divers can be quite selfish :D ), I have a narked at 90 stand, I am thinking of putting a 2 or 3 litre bottle with a long hose at the base there for my wife or any other OC diver and we make the attempt to never have to use it.

Dive Safe Everyone

Back
Top Bottom