Rebreather: Decisions, decisions!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definately the users. On most CCR's you can adjust the PO2 to whatever you like (within reason) and hence a CCR diver can match any profile you are diving on the RB80 (Or OC)

RB80 actually has another failure mode that gives no warning, and thats the overpressure valve. If that fails you either vent too much or not enough.

Again, Golden Rule of Rebreather diving is "Always Know Your PO2". Diving an SCR without a way of monitoring it is quite frankly "Doing it Wrong". Looking once a minute or two at a gauge is not exactly task loading or distracting and you can always fit a HUD

I like the RB80 it has a lot of good features and ideas and some bad ones (Lung placement), biggest problem with it for us is a) No CE approval so we cant buy/dive it in Eurpoe (70% of the RB market) and b) You have to worship at the DIR Altar for months to even be considered suitable to look at one c) the duration claims made have no independant verification to approved standards and d) its not exactly a production unit

RB80 would dominate the SCR market if it a) got CE'd b) come down to a reasonable price and c) was actually marketed

I'll second that you should also look at the Megladon unit and suggest you wait 6 months. There are a whole host of other CCR's heading to the market, all will benefit from the pioneering done by the existing units

Thanks to everybody for your feedback! It seems like the more I learn the more questions I have!!! I did check out the Megalodon system, it looks too much like a homebuild for my tastes (similar to the KISS). I must admit that the Inspiration has captured my interests. There seem to be more satisfied Inspiration divers than those with other units, although that could be simple statistics. Do you think that waiting six months for the new units is the best idea? The phrase "the devil you know is easier to fight than the devil you don't know"comes to mind. It seems as though the Inspiration has a proven track record, and the bugs have been worked out. Although the new units may avoid potential errors by learning from the existing CCR's, couldn't they just as easily have their own set of "unknown nasties?" What do you all think? :scuba:

Back
Top Bottom