Reattaching inflator hose at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaseadee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After inflating my DSMB from depth, I have to reattach my iflator hose to my BC and it's a bit of a struggle. I'm a warm water diver and I am usually wearing thin 3mm gloves. I *believe* that this may be also due to pressure inside the inflator hose pushing against me trying to reattach it. I noticed my son's inflator hose has a black plastic "wing" that allows for better grip on the release jobby (I have no idea what it's called). Is this something that can be added after the fact? also any advice on how to make this easier would be welcome.

Once you get the collar over the nipple, you don't have to hold it open any longer. Shift your hand a little further back and wrap your entire hand around the hose to push the rest of the way on.

I'm a fan of oral inflate since things happen at a leisurely pace, but hopefully the above helps!

Alternatively, attach another inflation hose (tell everyone it’s your dry suit inflate) and use that. Run it down your SPG HP hose and put a couple of tape wraps to keep them together.

Then it’s really simple to reach down and grab the inflate. And if you get a drysuit... simples.

Once you get the collar over the nipple, you don't have to hold it open any longer. Shift your hand a little further back and wrap your entire hand around the hose to push the rest of the way on.

I'm a fan of oral inflate since things happen at a leisurely pace, but hopefully the above helps!
ahhhhhhhhhhhh...... I was trying to hold the collar back until it seated completely. I feel a little silly now.

Only reason I know is my fingers slipped once before. :rolleyes:

It's pressurized, so it's still not trivial. If you can't get it, though, no big deal. Just leave it off and orally inflate the BC. TBH, being practiced at that is a good thing.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh...... I was trying to hold the collar back until it seated completely. I feel a little silly now.
Don't feel silly... we don't know what we don't know, until we know, lol.

And as inquisit said, if it still doesn't want to go... oral inflate.

I know what I said doesn't add much, but I feel your post deserves more attention. Many people are not taught that the collar doesn't have to be held back through the whole process. Ironically, you could have pushed it far enough on... but then let it back of a bit before releasing the collar. If you release the collar as soon as it's started, then the moment it is on far enough the collar will lock the rest of the way forward and lock it on.

Respectfully,

James

Good practice for oral inflation because you might need the experience in the future eg. you have to disengage your inflator hose because of eg. automatic inflation.

Alternatively, attach another inflation hose (tell everyone it’s your dry suit inflate) and use that. Run it down your SPG HP hose and put a couple of tape wraps to keep them together.

^^^ This.^^^ Even better, put a blowgun nozzle on it. Then, instead of attaching it to the smb port, it's even easier to just push the nozzle into the bag and inflate while holding the bottom of the bag.

^^^ This.^^^ Even better, put a blowgun nozzle on it. Then, instead of attaching it to the smb port, it's even easier to just push the nozzle into the bag and inflate while holding the bottom of the bag.
Assuming it's an open bottom bag. As opposed to a reliable, easy to use closed bottom bag with an inflation spigot!

Back
Top Bottom