Reasonable unlimited diving in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssummerhays

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, all. My boyfriend and I are looking for a reasonably priced Caribbean dive resort or liveaboard with unlimited diving.We'd like to be doing at least three boat dives a day and then have the opportunity for additional unlimited shore diving if at a resort. Have any of you been somewhere that you can recommend? Reasonable nitrox rates are also a bonus. Thanks, all! :blinking:

You could think of CoCoView in Roatan. They have 2 boat dives. As they come in, you can be dropped off at the Newman Wall, CoCoView Wall or the Prince Albert and come out at the resort (start boat, end shore). Also there is unlimited shore diving on the walls out front. Nitrox is an inexpensive add on. Four dives per day is pretty basic.

Bonaire. Dive as much as you want on your own schedule. It's truly a relaxing vacation. Airfare might be expensive compared to other dive destinations, but on-island costs can be very affordable.

If you want to save a few bucks, don't stay at the Buddy Dive Resort. You could easily piece together an unlimited shore diving package (including 32% nitrox) + condo-style accommodations + truck rental for half of the BDR package price.

@DMDavid:
  • Unlimited shore diving with nitrox: Dive Friends Bonaire (multiple tank pickup/drop-off locations) -- prices have been going up recently :depressed:
  • Accommodations: Do a search online. It's possible to find a "non-seaside" 1 bedroom condo for $70-$80 per night, depending on the time of year. For a couple traveling together, this is often the most economical option. Keep an eye out for units which have a kitchen. "Eating in" at the condo is another way to save some money on the trip. There are some nice restaurants in Kralendijk, but frankly I think most large cities in the U.S. have better offerings.
  • Truck rental: We used Budget -- one of the rental agencies located by the airport. If you have an Amex card, you can sign up for the Amex program that grants coverage on Bonaire truck rentals and use it to pay for the rental. Waiving the CDW will save you a few bucks.

If you put a little effort into researching prices and you add all of it up, I guarantee that it will be substantially cheaper than Buddy's. That being said, I understand that some people don't want the hassle of piecing their vacation together. Some people value the "free" breakfasts and bar discounts that are included in a BDR package. Proximity to the BDR house reef might be desirable. Large groups might be able to negotiate a substantial discount on the BDR package price.

FWIW, we were able to dive the Buddy house reef during the day and at night...even though we weren't paying guests. We just asked nicely, and the BDR folks were happy to oblige. We even had post-dive cocktails at the bar as we watched the sunset.

got to compare apples to apples here.Can you save a bit elsewhere? yes you can ..Is it worth it? up to you..for ease of diving with the location Buddy has,breakfast buffet style as much as you want and they pick you up at the airport, get truck keys same time as checking in to resort,ON THE WATER location..nice pools,one has a swim up bar.
By the time you add it all up Buddy's is very reasonable.
Some places that are off the water for the budget minded are very isolated and to be honest, I would call some of them a dump. You are also more vulnerable to becoming a victim of room break in/car gas stole, etc when staying at a location that is not a resort that has 24 hr security.Its not that Bonaire is dangerous,its not,but petty crimes happen more frequently at these "budget" non resort locations. We have been to the island 30+ times since early 1970's and have seen alot on the island to know how things work there.

oly5050user and I have discussed this matter on a few occasions here on ScubaBoard.
He generally manages a large group when he does a Bonaire vacation. As trip planner, there is a great deal of convenience in doing the "one-stop shopping" of a BDR package for everyone in a group. Also, when a group throws that much business at a resort, one or more spots get comped. It's up to the organizer to determine whether the savings are spread out among the entire group or someone gets a free ride. I don't like traveling with a group, and I steer clear of resorts/all-inclusives. That's just my personal preference.

There are many choices for "on water" or "seaside" condos on Bonaire. BDR is just one location. The house reef is nice. It's well-lit at night. There's a convenient stairway that leads down to the water. How do I know? I used it. The Buddy folks are generous when it comes to granting access to non-guests. I live very close to the water here in San Diego. I'll take the trade-off of staying at a place one block away from the water on Bonaire in order to save a couple hundred bucks.

From what I've seen, heard, and read, security can be an issue on the island. I'm not so sure the blanket statement can be made that locations featuring budget accommodations suffer from a higher crime rate than...let's say...Buddy Dive Resort. Moreover, I wouldn't characterize any of the accommodations where I've stayed on Bonaire a "dump." The place where I stayed was very clean/comfortable, its kitchen was adequate with a full refrigerator, there was a rinsing area for dive gear, and we were happy to use a locked room for overnight storage of gear. I think oly5050user has been staying at Buddy's for many years now, and he's been happy with the service he's received there. That's great. I doubt he even feels the need to check out other resorts or budget accommodations anymore.

oly5050user and I have discussed this matter on a few occasions here on ScubaBoard.
He generally manages a large group when he does a Bonaire vacation. As trip planner, there is a great deal of convenience in doing the "one-stop shopping" of a BDR package for everyone in a group. Also, when a group throws that much business at a resort, one or more spots get comped. It's up to the organizer to determine whether the savings are spread out among the entire group or someone gets a free ride. I don't like traveling with a group, and I steer clear of resorts/all-inclusives. That's just my personal preference.

There are many choices for "on water" or "seaside" condos on Bonaire. BDR is just one location. The house reef is nice. It's well-lit at night. There's a convenient stairway that leads down to the water. How do I know? I used it. The Buddy folks are generous when it comes to granting access to non-guests. I live very close to the water here in San Diego. I'll take the trade-off of staying at a place one block away from the water on Bonaire in order to save a couple hundred bucks.

From what I've seen, heard, and read, security can be an issue on the island. I'm not so sure the blanket statement can be made that locations featuring budget accommodations suffer from a higher crime rate than...let's say...Buddy Dive Resort. Moreover, I wouldn't characterize any of the accommodations where I've stayed on Bonaire a "dump." The place where I stayed was very clean/comfortable, its kitchen was adequate with a full refrigerator, there was a rinsing area for dive gear, and we were happy to use a locked room for overnight storage of gear. I think oly5050user has been staying at Buddy's for many years now, and he's been happy with the service he's received there. That's great. I doubt he even feels the need to check out other resorts or budget accommodations anymore.
yes we have stayed there many times over the years..
Have stayed at Habitat,Divi Flamingo , Plaza,Sand Dollar and private homes.
Buddy is easiest to deal with and has easy access to dive from.No wait on line for truck as at the airport.Buffet breakfasts start the day with no effort.Pool is convient and has swim up bar.
Have visited budget locations like Golden Reef Inn. Owner Liz is very nice but rooms are very very small.Pool looks like a above ground kid pool in someones backyard in the Bronx.Diving from GRI is work! Have to drive everytime and no views of any kind.GRI is no longer in business.They had a few room break ins,even while the guest were sleeping in their rooms,and Liz health issues forced her to close.Too bad,she is a nice person.Plaza is work to dive house reef or their boats.Can be a 5 + minute walk from room to dock.I do not even bother diving their house reef as it is too much work walking with camera gear to get to beach.
Sand Dollar is a good choice, very much like Buddy ,Andre the dive shop owner has his good days and bad days though. I never had any issues with him but others have .
Flamingo is old and some rooms are worn down.Used to be THE place to stay,have only been there 2 times since Peter Hughes left.Stayed many times when Peter ran the dive Op. Did you know it was a POW camp during WW 2? Habitat can be a good choice,but I did not like the fact that truck rental is not part of package.For the price Habitat costs I can stay at Buddy with a truck.
Carribean Club is ok,not directly on water,but can have water views.Carib Club is less expensive than Buddy Resort, dive op is ran by Buddy dive there.That can be a viable choice to save $200. on trip.
As to my taking groups to Buddy,its true.Its my job. Some people work in a office,some climb telephone poles (as I did for 30 years).some work in the dive industry. If traveling with a bunch of guys a budget location can work.Traveling with family,wife or girlfriend splurge the extra $200. for the week and stay someplace that has views,nice facilities,ease of entry to water when diving house reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom