really tough drysuit zipper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCMZ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I just bought a Mares drysuit and tried it on for the first time tonight. It came with a small bottle of Tizip lubricant. I lubricated the zipper following the hard to understand pictorial directions which seemed to say to unzip the zipper, put small drops of lube every 10 cm, and then work the zipper back and forth 10 times. Even after this, the zipper was basically impossible to unzip (zipping was much easier) - I actually couldn't get it to move at all and had to get my husband to help. I then tried applying more lube down the whole length of the zipper, which may have helped a little but not enough that I can actually get it unzipped myself. I've ordered some beeswax and can try that, but does anyone have any other advice?

Thanks!

You mentioned that you have TiZip lubricant, but you didn't state what kind of zipper was installed on the suit. Perhaps it is a TiZip.

If you have a TiZip zipper, then it's different from the old-style brass-toothed ones that most of use have on our drysuits. As such, it might use a slightly different lubricant. :idk: It's pretty safe to assume that the lube provided with the suit is the appropriate one...but you never know.

I would recommend lubing the entire length of the zipper several times to loosen it up. In-between lubes, open and close the zipper gently. New dryzippers are known to be quite stiff. They loosen up over time.

If this doesn't result in smooth operation, contact the drysuit manufacturer or the retailer from whom you purchased the suit.
If you can identify the type of zipper installed, you can send off an inquiry directly to the dryzipper manufacturer.

You probably already know this, but please take care of that dryzipper. It's the most expensive part to replace on the drysuit (part + labor = $300+). It's especially prone to damage during transport. Don't place anything heavy on top of it. In fact, for shore dives, I recommend transporting it to/from the dive site in its own Rubbermaid plastic bin. This way rolling tanks, lead weights, or any other heavy dive gear can't muck up the zipper.

Good luck.

If it's an old-style brass zipper, then several different kinds of lube will work.
I use Trident zipper wax that comes in a convenient stick with the thickness/length of a fat pen.
McNett makes a product that should work. Most dive shops here in SoCal carry it.
Beeswax should also work.

Be patient with it. Apply lube several times, and it should be fine. If you don't feel like purchasing the zipper wax right away, you might as well apply more of the TiZip lube that you already have.

Beeswax (and softer/stickier waxes) have a tendency to accumulate dirt and hairs. Cleaning off soft gunk can be a pian. I like using drier waxes. It will take more effort, and more applications of the dry stuff to get the zip sliding smoothly - but well worth it. I use paraffin and go back and forth as mentioned by a previous poster.

X

Bees wax works well but can accumulate dirt and hairs as mentioned. Use a tooth brush on the zip after every clean/wash and re-wax the zip.

Thanks everyone for all the tips! I'm relieved that it sounds like I just need more patience and not a new zipper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom