Really cheap UW video camera housing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robert Gillcash

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Being cheap, I like to use stuff (crap) I already have to make something else. When it became time for an underwater housing for my camera, which is pretty old, I basically had three choices.
Buy a new camera and housing ($$$$$$$)
Try to find a housing for my old camera which is slowly dying ($$$) plus a new camera in the future ($$$)
Build a housing for my existing camera and who cares if it dies.... (oh, nothing...)

So, I did a hasty search in my old parts bin of scuba gear and came across my SnapSights! 35mm camera and U/W housing (paid about $15 for the set about 5 years ago), and as it's getting really expensive and hard to find developers for 35mm film, plus not having used it for about three years, it wasn't hard to see a new use for the case.

Begin. How to secure camera inside case? Foam of course, expecially if you can get some of the pieces of 'tear-away' foam that comes in the storage cases...the type that is about 1/2" square...
Open case, remove old camera. Place old camera back in junk box.
Turn digital camera on, determine approx placement in housing so that the lens will actuall sit between the levers and crap that's in the housing now.
Fit foam to case, remove a few pieces for the lens to go thru, trim for depth.
Glue a few strips (cutting for thinkness as needed) on other side of housing.
Dive.

I tried this yesterday. Results can be seen here : YouTube - Whiskey Cove (Please note, this is first attempt at video-ing and a rather hasty edit, so NO cheesy comments on quality)

To operate, turn camera on, place in foam, start video record, seal tight and dive. Aim the thing where you want it to video, look at screen for view.
When the battery dies, it stops recording. 57 minutes for mine.
When I got home, I used Windows Movie Maker to edit out the crap.....

Attachments

• CIMG7159.JPG
    CIMG7159.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 133
  • CIMG7161.JPG
    CIMG7161.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 108
  • CIMG7162.JPG
    CIMG7162.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 110
  • CIMG7165.JPG
    CIMG7165.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 120
Okay, great recycling of "obsolete" camera and housing. I'm wondering... what camera did you fit in this thing? I'm assuming it's an older P&S camera that happens to have video.

Okay, great recycling of "obsolete" camera and housing. I'm wondering... what camera did you fit in this thing? I'm assuming it's an older P&S camera that happens to have video.

Thanks for the compliment, it was a fun small and easy project, with unexpected good results.
You are correct, it's my well used / abused Casio Exilim EX-700.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom