Really Beginner Camera Security Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Do

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am boat-diving next week in Florida. I want to take my camera and strobe, but do not know if I want to take it down on each dive. Should I be concerned about leaving my equipment top-side on the boat while I dive? (I've never been boeat diving before, so I have no idea what to expect. Thanks.

it will be safe on the boat - but put it somewhere safe (i.e. where people wont trip over it or it wont fall into the water) - e.g. use the camera bucket if there is one.

I agree that all of your gear (diving and camera) will be safe. You still have to put it out of the way so it won't get stepped on or damaged. Some people use the camera bucket. On large boats, there may be a camera table where you can put it after rinsing it with fresh water. Other people bring a small soft-sided cooler to put their camera in so that it doesn't get bumped by other people in the bucket. Those people may even bring a water sprayer to rinse off their gear. Put you lense cap or dome hood back on to prevent damage. Inspect your housing again before taking it into the water after you skip a dive. Jostling that you don't know about could have damaged something or loosened a seal.

David

I've never had a problem leaving anything on the boat, including cameras, cash, etc.

I only use the camera bucket for rinsing but never leave my cameras in the rinse bucket, especially when under way. The rinse bucket can be a high risk location for floods with cameras banging into each other while moving (or stationary in rough seas). You can wrap your camera in a damp towel or put it in a collapsible cooler like was mentioned above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom