Real Time Blue Manta Review: Banda Sea 9 – 19 Sept 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It might be warmer in October but don’t forget on repetitive dives, after so many days, your body doesn’t handle colder water (haha, I guess it is relative...not as warm water!) as well as if you were just doing a couple dives and done.

You can bring an extra layer just in case. If you don’t use it, no big deal, but it sucks to want it and not have it. Some boats might have something you can rent or borrow but having something that you know fits you well is always nice. :)

Listen to her. I was miserable doing 30 dives in 9 straight days with 2mm shorty over 3mm full & 3mm hood.

If you guys have a couple days in Bali, I highly recommend you to dive in Manta Point (Nusa Penida) & Blue Corner (Nusa Lembongan). @Foo @Jay & I did it yesterday. We saw 2 mantas, 4 mola-molas & a thresher shark in clear blue water. I’ll upload the YouTube video later.
you missed the Great White? Tsk.. :)

Early October is a fine month for a Banda Sea Crossing. There are many dives sites that host hammerhead sharks, the water is a bit warmer than September, and the visibility is vey good. An extra layer such as a hoody vest is always welcome.

I'm not an instructor or an expert, but I think its not just the depth but how you ascend. Just ascend slowly and do your stops( not just your 5m stop). On most LOB trips I've seen divers do their safety stop and once they're done they are up to the surface from 5m within 10-15 seconds which I think is silly. The last few metres in my humble opinion are the most important. I take about a minute to go up from 5m to the surface and often get dirty looks from the other divers who have to wait, but that's just me. I also don't do night dives on such trips, so its 3 dives a day.

I also preach the slow ascent from SS for same reasons. I've noticed that other divers eventually will give it a try to test their own buoyancy control. :wink:

I rarely do night dives either but usually they are shallow so I'm not too concerned about the load, in that regard. Might even be helpful. Haha

I also preach the slow ascent from SS for same reasons. I've noticed that other divers eventually will give it a try to test their own buoyancy control. :wink:

I rarely do night dives either but usually they are shallow so I'm not too concerned about the load, in that regard. Might even be helpful. Haha

We always ascend slowly from 5m. In particular, with beautiful coral gardens and schooling fish, why rush the ascent. After a deep recreational dives, it’s a safe and prudent practice for slow ascents from a SS. Or any dive...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom