Real Rescue During Rescue Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
Here is one for "lessons learned" during a rescue class.

I wasn't there, so I'm not sure of these exact details, but at our local quarry, they had someone that needed rescued during a rescue class yel everyone thought it was part of the class.

The partcipant in the class came out of the water yelling help. Everyone heard it but thought it was part of the class and didn't pay him much attention as they would let the normal instruction of the class handle it.

Yes the person was in the class, but they really needed help. In reality, crying 'help' was like 'crying wolf' as people thought it was part of the class.

The "lesson learned" here is don't use the cry of "help" as the emergency word yelled out in your rescue class. Use some other word, such as "hot dog", etc. Pick just about any other word. That way when someone yells help, it really means they need help.

HOOCHIE MAMA!

Did your instructor have an OW class going on at the same time as your rescue class? How exactly did that work? I would think he would have his hands full with either...
Tom

b1gcountry:
Did your instructor have an OW class going on at the same time as your rescue class? How exactly did that work? I would think he would have his hands full with either...
Tom

He was assisting another instructor and 2 dive-cons with a 5 or 6 person OW class. We ran our rescue scenarios towards the end of the OW dives for our first couple dives. Our last rescue scenario dives we were basically told what depth to be at and that "something would happen." It's not easy to get lost in Blue Hole, so we basically would go to 40-50 ft. and swim around like we were on a casual sight-seeing dive and at some point we would come across a diver in some sort of distress.

Back
Top Bottom