Reactivating SSI Instructor Status

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith Blair

Neener Neener
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Good day. My SSI professional (AOWI) status has been inactive and I'm looking into reactivating. (I've been diving, I just haven't been teaching) Looking at SSI's "Recreational Scuba Training Standards" document (pg 21) it states under section 1:
I. Duration of Inactivity​
...​
Greater than ten (10) years:​
• Complete all program requirements, including any water fitness evaluations, digital learning materials, academic assessments, final exams, and in-water training requirements as outlined in the program-specific instructor manual.​
NOTE: Open Water Instructors who are returning to active status are only required to complete the Instructor Training Course, and do not need to complete an additional Instructor Evaluation.

So it reads to me like I would need to take the ITC, but not pay the extra for the SSI evaluation afterward.

The problem I have is I've talked to a couple of different SSI instructor training shops and what I'm being told varies between them. Reaching out to SSI directly, they refer me to "my local dive shop". I'm hoping someone here can tell me definitively what's required to reactivate.

Shop A: Take the instructor training course and that's all I need.
Shop B: Take ALL the professional courses and renew my DiveCon on up (e.g. DG/DM, AI, ITC).

So would I only need to take the instructor course or would I need to take all of the professional courses?

Good day. My SSI professional (AOWI) status has been inactive and I'm looking into reactivating. (I've been diving, I just haven't been teaching) Looking at SSI's "Recreational Scuba Training Standards" document (pg 21) it states under section 1:
I. Duration of Inactivity​
...​
Greater than ten (10) years:​
• Complete all program requirements, including any water fitness evaluations, digital learning materials, academic assessments, final exams, and in-water training requirements as outlined in the program-specific instructor manual.​
NOTE: Open Water Instructors who are returning to active status are only required to complete the Instructor Training Course, and do not need to complete an additional Instructor Evaluation.

So it reads to me like I would need to take the ITC, but not pay the extra for the SSI evaluation afterward.

The problem I have is I've talked to a couple of different SSI instructor training shops and what I'm being told varies between them. Reaching out to SSI directly, they refer me to "my local dive shop". I'm hoping someone here can tell me definitively what's required to reactivate.

Shop A: Take the instructor training course and that's all I need.
Shop B: Take ALL the professional courses and renew my DiveCon on up (e.g. DG/DM, AI, ITC).

So would I only need to take the instructor course or would I need to take all of the professional courses?
You've checked two clock (LDSs) and they don't agree. So what time is it? Shop A agrees with the written standards. Shop B sounds like a money grab. Now you are going to ask random dudes on the internet. Why aren't you just going with Shop A?

I was hoping amongst the 'random dudes' there might be some SSI instructor trainers with first-hand knowledge.

the standards sound pretty clear as far as not having to do the evaluation.

i assume since you posted that particular section of the standards that you have been out of the game for over 10 years. a lot would have changed in that time.

find a reputable ssi pro training center and go through the course or maybe travel abroad and do it somewhere else. if you have a good relationship with any trainers that can help you through the process that may even be better.

if you have any questions i would reach out to mike at mschechter@us.divessi.com. i am sure he can nswer your concerns.

if you call the general ph number for ssi they always like to give the standard answer......"call your local ssi dealer". trouble is many dealers don't know the answers. i always laugh when they tell me that and then i tell them "i work for the ssi dealer and he doesn't know". haha

Back
Top Bottom