RE: RSA, suggestions needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deano2

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I want to dive South Africa next year and was wondering if anyone could suggest when the best time to be there is as far as the weather is concerned. I'd hate to plan a trip like this and have it gail force winds the whole time. I'd be at Margate most of the time, any advice?

Just got back from North Sulawesi, had great time, look out for my trip report link in Asia section...

Deano2

If you are going to be in Margate area most of the time you would have to dive Protea Banksoff Shelly Beach. Then there is Aliwal Shoal about an hour North of there. The Winter months (May-August) are the best.
Do a web search for Protea Banks and Aliwal Shoal.
We use SeaFever (www.seafever.co.za) for Aliwal Shoal. They can also recommend who to dive with at Protea Banks (we normally dive with African Dive Adventures there.
If you are here long enough it might also be worth your while to make a 2-3 day trip to Sodwana Bay (about 4 hours North of Margate). We use Sodwana Bay Lodge when diving there.

Hi SA Diver,

I was considering April/May but what about wind? I know coastal areas are suseptable to hard winds during certian times of the year and that limits boat trips. I was considering February as an alternative. I will check out Seafarers. Thanks for the advise. Any advise on Mozambique?

Deano2

Back
Top Bottom