Re-gluing inflator to bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougNR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
One of our BCs has started leaking at the shoulder of the inflation fitting. Not a hole or cut, the glue just let go or may not have been as well applied originally in this small portion of the assembly. The BC is not under warrantee so I figure its up to me.

I tried some vinyl repair cement, but it doesn't seen to adhear to the material of the bag or the plastic of the fitting.

Could someone recommend a type of glue that will work? I was going to try some silicon sealer, but decided to ask here first.

All help appreciated!

Regards;

Doug

DougNR:
One of our BCs has started leaking at the shoulder of the inflation fitting. Not a hole or cut, the glue just let go or may not have been as well applied originally in this small portion of the assembly. The BC is not under warrantee so I figure its up to me.

I tried some vinyl repair cement, but it doesn't seen to adhear to the material of the bag or the plastic of the fitting.

Could someone recommend a type of glue that will work? I was going to try some silicon sealer, but decided to ask here first.

All help appreciated!

Regards;

Doug

Bladder through fittings aren't glued, they either screw together with a gasket, or are RF welded in place. Your's sounds like it was welded. If it's failing there is nothing I'd recommend for a DIY fix.

Tobin

Well there is no pressure fitting for sure. It looked glued to me, but you're probably correct with your view.

Too bad too! Such a small opening looked like an easy fix with the right materials.

Thanks very much for your help!

D.

Been a while on this thread, but did you get your BC fixed? I HAVE the same problem with a Zeagle of mine. I used Aquaseal and it did help 90% of it, but there are still small bubbles coming out. I'm thinking of using Gorilla glue on it.

Steve

There is a newer adhesive out there that I have used with great success mix matching materials.

It’s made by “Liquid Nails” and is called “Perfect Glue 1”. It’s good for paper, wood, fabric, rubber, leather, vinyl and foam.

It’s waterproof, clear, acid free, high strength and will not stick to skin.

It’s worth a try. I’m testing it on some wrist seals and so far I like what I’m seeing.

Remember the number one thing when gluing stuff is make sure it's clean and in this case ruffed up a bit. In most cases shinny does not have good gripping power.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
There is a newer adhesive out there that I have used with great success mix matching materials.

It’s made by “Liquid Nails” and is called “Perfect Glue 1”. It’s good for paper, wood, fabric, rubber, leather, vinyl and foam.

It’s waterproof, clear, acid free, high strength and will not stick to skin.

It’s worth a try. I’m testing it on some wrist seals and so far I like what I’m seeing.

Remember the number one thing when gluing stuff is make sure it's clean and in this case ruffed up a bit. In most cases shinny does not have good gripping power.

Gary D.

Hey Gary,
Could you do a follow-up on this? I'd like hear how it worked out.
Thank you.

i had one of mine come loose and some are glued,used a hot glue gun,fixed about 90%,was time for a new bc anyhow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom