? re: 1st dive computer purchase, including uwatec vs oceanic models

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsloo

Reaction score
Hi all...Somewhat new to diving and planning to purchase first computer. I'm not nitrox certified yet.

1) AI (wrist via transmitter or AI console) vs no-AI feature ????
seems to me, its nice to have a read-out of accurate air-time + bottom-time remaining.

2) Regarding Uwatec consoles,
the new aladin Smartcom with compass (leisurepro.com) = $675
the "older" aladin air console with compass ( " ") = $375

money is an issue, and regarding the $675 model, it seems like one is paying for this "microbubble" suppression mode....., likely beneficial in people with PFO's. I do not have a PFO, confirmed by my echocardiogram. Wouldn't I be essentially just as "safe", using the $375 model. I guess what I'm asking is.....is the $375 model in any way more "risky" to use , vs the $675 model ??

3) The Suunto computers seem very confusing to me as a beginner diver. ??? as compared to:

4) The Oceanics.
Datamax Pro Plus (AI) +/- compass(leisurepro.com) =$500 or $580
Datatrans Plus (non AI) (wrist-mount) ( " ") = $700

With money being an issue, again my question comes up....is there a greater benefit between (AI-console) vs (non AI-wrist)??
EXCEPT for a "convenience" benefit. How does the Datamax Pro Plus compare to the other companies???

If there are no big differences between the above mentioned computers, the Uwatec aladin air console ($375) , is obviously much cheaper than the Uwatec aladin smartcom ($675) or the Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus ($500-$580).

Sorry to bother everyone. Your knowledge/expertise is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
jsloo

One of the best bits of non-model specific advice we can give you on buying your first dive computer is to go with a version that supports Nitrox.

Trust me on this...you will use nitrox sometime in your dive career. And probably sooner than you think. If you purchase an air only computer, then you're out money again purchasing the model you should have gotten the first round.

And all nitrox capable computers will dive as air computers as well.

There are several Suunto users on the board, so if you have specific questions on those models, ask away.

Forget the computer and get a bottom timer/depth gauge and spend the money you save on more education.

But if money where not an issue then I would say to get a Suunto Stinger and use it as a bottom timer/depth gauge and get more education.

Just my opinion... and not very humble at that... but at least it is 100% correct. :D

My wife and I are new divers (approx. 1yr) and just purchased our equipment and computers. We each have Suunto Cobras and we based our decisions from recommendations of divers we traveled with last year. I have heard from some people that they thought the Cobra was complicated to use. Since I've never used anything else I really can't comment on how it rates to other computers but I can say if my wife (non techie type) can use and fully understand it that it's complication level is not that great.

The aeris or genesis comps? My wife uses a very simple an inexpensive one button Gensis resource that she wanted specifically because of the simplicity and price (<200 bux at scubatoys). Genesis also makes a very simple 2 button model that supports NITROX for about 300 I believe. The displays are also very simple to read.

If you are at all interested in the Suuntos check them out. I have dove since the start with a Stinger and never found it confusing in the least, but my wife did (hence her Genesis).

good luck, as much as possible try before you buy.
just my $.02.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Yes, I'll be sure to take a look at the Suunto Stinger,
as well as the Genesis models.
I'll see how much the Cobra's are.
Cost is definitely an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom