RCCL Coco Cay Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonesbf

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got back from a Royal Caribbean cruise where I dove at their private island: Coco Cay. Overall it was a nice dive. Nothing exciting, but worth the money.

We were the first tender to the island. I was the only person on the tour that brough my own full equipment. (Dragging a rolling bag through the sand SUCKS!) We met the guides at the dive hut on the island and got a briefing and buddies for those of us who didn't have one. We geared up and had a short walk to the beach. Only three people opted for wet suits everyone else was in trunks. There were jellyfish everywhere. The guide told us they weren't a stinging variety, however that turned out to be subjective. They do sting, it just doesn't hurt very much... a slight tingling/burny/itchy feeling, but nothing intollerable. I was glad I had my .5mm on however.

We were towed in groups of three by jetski on rescue sleds out to the dive bouy. The trip was short and not too bumpy. When everyone was ready we descended. The reef was a slope down to around 35'. We followed the lower edge at the sand line out to the turn around (two airplane engines). I didn't see any large reeflife. The biggest thing was a lion fish which was large for its size. This was the first one of these invaders I've seen outside of an aquarium so it was a treat. We ascended to the ridge of the reef and made out way back to the bouy. The guide was good at pointing out reeflife. It was a very relaxed dive with little to no current.

We made our way back to the bouy. No safety stop was needed because the ridge was 12' to 15'. Total down time was around 45 minutes. When we ascended there was only one jetski that took one person in. The rest of us swam the whole way which wasn't too bad, but a tow would have been nice.

The guides were good about letting you leave stuff at the dive shop on the island and they allowed the use of their dunk tank after the dive.

I wish there'd been enough there for a two tank dive. I always travel with my own gear and that was a lot to lug for just one dive. Even so, I'd probably do it again next time.

Thats good to know.We are considering doing a trip that runs thru Coco Cay.
Now if only Disney would follow suit and run a dive trip from their island.

Back
Top Bottom