RC Mode, Olympus TG-810 and UFL-2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've grown rather cynical of this underwater camera circus. Buying expensive gear sounds like a good way to burn thousands of dollars. I like underwater photography, but I'm not that desperate. Until the suppliers including Olympus can get their act together I'm happy sticking with my 'toy'. Biggest problem will be that in a year's time I probably won't be able to get any replacement parts.

I can sympathize with you on this issue buddy, I went to three dive stores yesterday (friday) afternoon and all were closed !!! Can you believe this ****, the day before a weekend and they are all closed???
I was recently told that it would take three months for me to get a new mask ordered/supplied by a local store, WTF. . .???
I own and use two of the Inon S2000 strobes and like them a lot, BUT, they have their limitations.
Bruce

I have PDF article I did several years ago which includes UFL-2 information I can E-mail you, it will not upload here. Keep in mind that some of the things that make the strobe cool like power zoom will only work when the strobe is wired to the housing via the Olympus cable and will NOT work via fiber optic cables. The guide number of 32 is based on the power zoom being at the narrow beam end. As you zoom out to the wide end of the range the GN drops for W/A shots. The zoom can be done in manual if you are using fiber optic cables but will work in auto as you zoom a lens in and out. Not sure how this works with non-interchangable lens cameras.

Also the strobe which is larger than the Inon S-2000 and Z-240 as well as the Sea & Sea YS-01 and YS-02 and for its size only holds TWO battries. The UFL-2 while it may not look the same has the guts of the FL-36 land strobe in a Sea & Sea U/W housing. It is also VERY BUOYANT (see attached image of a DSLR housing with camera in fresh water) which with the small compact camera would cause problems requiring weights.

For a compact camera using fiber optic cable(s) the Inon S-2000 or Sea & Sea YS-01&2 would be much better choices to me.

Phil Rudin

I've pretty much settled on the YS-01. Reasons - less bulky and more batteries. Bouyancy is another issue highlighted by Phil, but I suppose this could be overcome by strapping on bits of steel somewhere suitable. The YS-01 may not have the remote control functionality of the UFL-2 if I upgraded to the EPL-3 or another suitable Olympus camera. Given my past experiences, that is not something I want to be locked into at this stage.

Incidentally, I got some pricing for the 'accessories' for strobe lenses for the YS-01. I can get the strobe for about $500. The fibre optic cable costs about $100. The bits of velcro that attach to the front of the diffuser are, wait for it, around $65. Looks like Olympus is not the only ones with an act at this circus.....

Oh and I just noticed that on the Olympus site the UFL-1 is given as the strobe to use with the TG-810 underwater camera housing. The FL-1 flash is controlled with slave connection to camera flash. No mention of remote control, FL-36 or UFL-2 here.

Olympus DSLR, PEN & digital compact cameras, voice recorders, binoculars & accessories | Olympus Imaging Australia

---------- Post added ----------

I purchased the YS-01 and tried it with the TG-810 out of the water. The results were pleasing but there were some glitches. I'd be interested to hear some explanations and if others have had similar problems.

The camera seems to operate in concert with the camera flash when relatively close to the subject up to say a couple of metres away. As you move away from the subject the flash fires off more brightly each time and maintains a consistent level of lighting on the subject automatically using the slave feedback. However, beyond a point, the camera fires off very brightly. The focus light and flash charge indication light go off and don't come back on until some minutes later. The long wait is annoying.

The simple solution is to flick it across to manual mode for subjects more than say a couple of metres away.

I've read around a bit on this matter and it seems that the S&S YS-01 DS TTL arrangement is a bit dicky with some of the cameras and apparently does not work with the Oympus ZX-1. If you own such a camera then the UFL-01 or UFL-02 with remote control and a flash slave are probably an attractive option.

Worked out why the flash was taking so long to recharge after a big light discharge. The batteries were flat.

Anyone try the tg-820. Need a topside play around camera. Was curious how it stacks up to previous models

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom