RC flash u/w?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daddyle

New
Reaction score
HI, am wondering whether FL-36R (in PFL-E01) and FL-50R (in 10Bar or Fantasy housing) work underwater in remote control mode? Anyone tried it before? By the way are those mentioned housings compatible with the "new" RC flashes?

If by RC you mean can a pair be set to different lighting ratios, E.G. +/- stops of light in TTL, they can when hardwired to the housing with the Olympus cord.

If you mean can they be fired by the cameras inferred signal the answer is, not. That does not seem to work underwater.

Phil Rudin

I asked Olympus and they said their Olympus UFL-2 is compatible in RC mode with the E-520 using the fiber optic connection. There is no reason you should have to buy a housing for the Olympus FL-36R or FL-50R which would not work RC anyway as the housing takes an Olympus TTL cable only

I agree with Mickey that the Olympus land strobe housings are not the way to go that is why Olympus has released the UFL-1 and UFL-2.

However if you were to find a dual cable or used the Athena TTl twin connector to hard wire to Olympus R version land strobes the E-520/PT-E05 combo you WILL be able to set lighting ratios.

The R in the new Oly land strobes relates to being able to use multi. strobes not wired to the camera which are triggered by inferred and NOT by slave, this does not work underwater.

I used the UFL-2 strobe with fiber optics and was not able to make the lighting ratios work, they defaulted to TTL and both flashes gave the same power output. Either way they are nice strobes for the cost and have features others do not, like beam angle zoom which can raise the guide number to 32 at the narrower angle for macro.

Phil Rudin

Thanks Phil

My UFL-2 does receive a signal from the controller (on camera flash). It seems to transmit through the fiber optic cable. I was under the impression that the RC mode functions with the UFL-2 just like it would when used with a land based FL-36R/50R setup.

If you scroll through the RC window that comes up and turn the flash power up/down with the camera controls, they seem to be able to be adjustable with 1/3 stop increments up or down in the TTL setting.

Gie it a try if you get a chance.

Mickey

I have been using E-3 & FL-36R in the DIY housings.
attachment.php

Of couse, FL-36R works under water as well as on land.
But under bright water (it is light around you) it did NOT respond.
So I attached the mirror (see figure) in front of the internal strobe (which works as remote commander) to shine the FL-36R.
To do this it worked well.

Attachments

• jtP9273915b.jpg
    jtP9273915b.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 85

Back
Top Bottom