RB pod for FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7

Contributor
Reaction score
Several people PMed and e-mailed me about the RB pod for the K-M M48 Supermask. Seems like they finally are available.

"Hi Stefan,
... the pods are the same and we currently offer adapters for Meg, Prism, Inspiration, Dolphin, Azimuth, MK15 and my KISS DSV is in Ca as we speak so we will also be offering those by the first week of next year, our goal is to offer adapters for any mainstream RB's so if you don't see it please ask. As you know the pod is modular so if you own the mask you can order the RB pod separately, it also comes with or without the OC bailout reg and of course you can buy the pods without any regulator at all or with the KM superflow, the choices are endless.
Chris"

Chris can be reached through and has the mask/pod at
www.tech-blue.com

Since mention has been made of the K-M mask and pod, I will point out that Divematics USA, Inc. has a mask and RB/OC switch unit that is worthy of consideration in terms of quality, comfort and price.

They produce an "AGA Style" mask that is smaller, more durable, and more comfortable. It has a very rugged and reliable switch-block. It will, of course, take your choice of OC second stage.

Check it out on the pictures section of the Divematics site!

<www.divenet.com/divematics>

Cheers! BJD :anakinpod

I like Tracy's work when it comes to DSVs, switchblocks too.
But that mask is LARGE ! At least on my head. Seems like you can run through a brick wall though.

The only thing about the M48 I don't like is that goofy head band. Without a hood it's very unconfortable. But the mask itself works very well for me.

BigJetDriver69:
Since mention has been made of the K-M mask and pod, I will point out that Divematics USA, Inc. has a mask and RB/OC switch unit that is worthy of consideration in terms of quality, comfort and price.

They produce an "AGA Style" mask that is smaller, more durable, and more comfortable. It has a very rugged and reliable switch-block. It will, of course, take your choice of OC second stage.

Check it out on the pictures section of the Divematics site!

Cheers! BJD :anakinpod
Tracy makes a nice mask, but like stephan said its big.. The supermask isn't perfect but its a good start. The major advantage of the m48 is the ability to "drop" the lower pod and either install another pod (OC) or go OC without the lower portion without removing the mask.

Tracy does do some very nice work, the main diference between the KM and all other units out there is that this mask and pod was developed as total unit with alternate options. The biggest drawback to the KM is the lack of peripheral vision something you do get used to when you dive it. KM will be forthcoming with a mask which addresses this issue but I have no idea when that will be, but I do know that it will definitely be backwardly compatible with the pods. Photographers and film makers tell me they prefer the "tunnel vision" As Joe also said the ability to remove the pod and either switch to another pod for deco or a standard oc reg for whatever purpose without having to remove the mask is a major advantage plus the extremely small profile of the oral cavity greatly reduces CO2 buildup another important consideration for FFM diving.

Cheers,
Chris

Vision doesn't compare to the AGA, but it was in the okay range. I like
- the versatility of the mask
- the possibility of removing part of it
- the availability of adapters for different RBs and OC integrated DSV
- the bellows/bitepiece combo making it possible to either use comms
or keep the bitepiece in your mouth and loop smaller
- the nose pocket makes equalizing easier than any plug, block or lever

Folks,

The thing with the Divematics unit is that it is an "Improved AGA" in that it is smaller, stronger, and has a better spider. The oro-nasal cavity is small, so there is little chance of CO2 build-up.

It uses a DSV to switch gases, rather than having to remove anything from the mask or your face (a procedure that could be problematic underwater). Multiple gases are connected, in this arrangement, to the commercial diver's
gas-block or manifold. It is a different philosophy, and more in tune with commercial diver procedures.

Ciao!

BJD :jetfighte

P.S.---Sorry, folks! Just couldn't resist that one just once! BJD

P.P.S.---A very happy and prosperous New Year to all you good diver folks out there, bubblers or not!

Cheers!

BJD :anakinpod

BJD,

You can do a switch from CC to OC without removing anything, simply twist the lever 90degrees and you can plumb into a gas block or manifold if you choose thar's just a matter of plumbing. the fact that you can do all that and also be able to switch regs without taking the mask of is a big plus. I don't follow you on the commercial diver deal though. Have you actually seen one of these bad boys in person?

Chris

For those interested in an FFM, the mask that I have mentioned is officially called the Widolf WD-40 (easy name to remember)!

You can find it on the Divematics USA, Inc. website:

The site is changing servers, but will be up no later than Monday of next week.

The mask is "AGA-like" in looks, but smaller. It has a better face seal, a better spider, and a small oro-nasal cup to reduce "dead air-space" problems. It can be fitted with comms, and if fitted with the Divematics DSV (never have liked that term in this usage), and a small 2nd stage, gives one easy switching to OC. The price is good too. Check it out!

BJD

My nice shinny new OC/CC Pod for my KM48 arrived this morning courtesy of Chris from Tech Blue. (Talk about excellent and prompt service)

What can I say as you would expect from KM it is VERY nicely put together. If it dives the way it looks Ill be a happy man. Its much more compact than I envisaged and looks like it could take some serious abuse. The ratchet system makes it a lot stiffer than my home build that tended to sag in a strong current.

It was a long time coming - but I reckon it was well worth the wait.

Ill be off soon on a 2 week expedition to Subic bay and then Malapascau Island to explore some new (virgin?) wrecks and a wall so that should give it a good try out. Ill let you know how I get on with it.

Cheers
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom