RaZor valve open or closed during filling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlesml3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does the valve on the RaZor need to be opened or can it stay closed while filling? I assume it wouldn't matter if it was being filled with a transfiller or a whip.

Thanks!

-Charles

charlesml3:
Does the valve on the RaZor need to be opened or can it stay closed while filling? I assume it wouldn't matter if it was being filled with a transfiller or a whip.

The valve is downstream of the adapter, so keep it closed.

I thought so too, but wanted to make sure. Thanks for the quick response!

-Charles

The hand-valve on the RaZor only controls the air leaving the cylinder. If the hand-valve is off, only the burst disc is pressurized. When the hand-valve is on, all of the low pressure ports and the HP gauge port are pressurized.

The fill fitting has a check-valve built into it. The check-valve opens when more pressure is fed into the fill fitting, than exists inside the tank that the RaZor is installed into.

In other words, you do not have to open the hand-valve on the RaZor to fill the tank.

Thanks,

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom