Raw or JPEG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've read some of Thom Hogan's camera and lens reviews. They're very good. But so are Ken Rockwell's. I know a couple of professional photographers who won't buy a lens without reading what Ken Rockwell says about it.

PS6? With Windows Millennium?

Re Ken Rockwell's qualifications: "This page generates controversy because fact doesn't always agree with old wives' tales circulated by newcomers to digital photography in chat rooms. I'm sharing what works for me gathered across three decades of continuous full-time paid professional experience in digital imaging. In addition I was studying digital imaging for ten years before I got my engineering degree and started as a professional working with the guys with Ph.Ds in mathematics who invented all this."
What qualivfications do the people who mock him and thoink you should do the opposite of what he recommends have ? :wink:

I don't hold myself up there as an expert to say who is right or wrong, but the criticism I have read of KR is not of his qualifications, but rather his methods. Some people seem to believe that he reviews lenses based on their spec sheet and not based on using them.

No idea who this Ken Rockwell guy is...
A master of self promotion.

As I said on another thread, just because Ken Rockwell recommends a certain camera back or lens doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't go ahead and get it anyway. :wink:

Hi Brewski - the end result is PS 6 does NOT support any RAW files, according to Adobe the first support was in v7. I burnt away about 8 hours in downloading testing and discarding different upgrades, plug ins etc etc.

Yesterday, via a recommendation from an Olympus site, I found Irfanview and it works well for what I want to do ie process .orf RAW files quickly. I also noted an improvement in the images in how irfan works on ORF files v Olympus Master 2 into jpg and then PS working on jpg's.

This makes working in RAW worthwhile for me as I can review them first then tweak in irfanview (if needed)and save all very easily. If I need to do anything more I can still load them into PS and work on the jpg there.

I did about 1.5-2 hours work yesterday and kept about 60 images and I am about halfway through the first batch of 550.

I don't hold myself up there as an expert to say who is right or wrong, but the criticism I have read of KR is not of his qualifications, but rather his methods. Some people seem to believe that he reviews lenses based on their spec sheet and not based on using them.

Well, here's one of his reviews, picked at random. Judge for yourself if what "some people seem to believe" is true (read the various sections under the heading Performance Details): Nikon 18-200mm

A master of self promotion.

I thought you had to be to survive in the US :wink:

Guys, let's keep KR etc discussion out of here as they aren't germane to the issue at hand and will have to be tidied up by some poor, overworked mod :( If you want to discuss those issues, start a new thread and go for it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom